VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Creepin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.
Recently I was tuning Dosbox 0.65 to the best of my liking by tweaking dosbox.conf, until I was completely satisfied with results. It was like fullscreen with correct aspect ratio on widescreen lcd and stuff. But after rebuilding my system (WinXP sp.2) from scratch and reinstalling all applications, a problem occures. I used to run dos games bu dragging respective exe files and dropping them on dosbox icon, but since rebuild I didn't get results I was getting before: all games are started in default fullscreen=false and scaler=normal2x no matter what I'm typing in dosbox.conf. I even tried to remove config file from dosbox directory completely - the same result, so I believe that my Dosbox currently runs at some built-in preset settings, without any regard to dosbox.conf.
What might have caused this and what could I do to fix it?
Thanks 😀

Reply 1 of 3, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

check the shortcut where you drop your games on.
it must have a -conf pathto/dosbox.conf somewhere in there

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 3, by Creepin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Know what? That helps 😀

It's strange though, as I wasn't doing any shortcut modifications before reinstall, not to mention that today I was dropping games directly onto dosbox.exe (not shortcut) with described result. So even though I eventually get my Eye of the Beholder back (thanks again Qbix) it's still worrying me a bit 😦

Reply 3 of 3, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Creepin - maybe you had a dosbox.conf in your home directory?

DOSBox 0.65 follows these rules when it starts:

1. Create internal configuration.
2. Override it with the one specified by -conf

If there is none at step 2, then
3. Check current directory for dosbox.conf.

If none is found at step 3, then
4. Check %HOME% for dosbox.conf.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions