Reply 80 of 88, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another one that bites the dust 😁 :

xa000zc3.th.png xa001ht5.th.png

xa002bz1.th.png xa003zm5.th.png

I can't remember the last time I played "Extreme Assault" on my PC. It works as a dream and didn't cause the slightlest trace of a problem. One of the most beautiful and addictive FPS ever, despite its sim disguise.

Reply 81 of 88, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yeah extreme assault, one of my all time favorites. 😀

i dont care about the 3DFX support from the patched EA, but i wonder if it would possible to emulate the MMX instructions through dosbox.
iam thinking about adding this to the dosbox wishlist for a while now, because some newer dosgames support this feature, and its the only matter why i use VDMS even after the release of v0.70 for some games.
but i dont know, maybe its to complicated or not possible adding such stuff to the dosbox code.

@dosbox devs: what do you think about that?

sysprofile.png

Reply 83 of 88, by Ihmemies

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Archimedean Dynasty's sound setup doesn't work with me either. But I could change the settings from SFX\DRV\DIG.INI

It has info like:

DEVICE      Creative Labs Sound Blaster Pro or 100% compatible
DRIVER SBPRO.DIG
IO_ADDR 220h
IRQ 7
DMA_8_BIT 1
DMA_16_BIT 1

So that was pretty straightforward to edit right 😁

dos4gw007gh9.th.pngdos4gw008wj7.th.png
dos4gw002io3.th.pngdos4gw003hf3.th.png

Many years ago it didn't even start. A couple of years ago it ran like &¤(%. Now it runs smooth! If only glide worked too...

Thanks to developers for their hard work!

Reply 84 of 88, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wd wrote:

Would be slow as hell.

As 16bit graphics and VESA high resolutions should have been?
Just teasing 😉

More seriously, a search for "C++ MMX cross platform" in Google returns this library, which seems appropriate. The project looks discontinued (only one release, and no activity ever since), but is already labeled as 4 beta / 5 stable...
Project summary:

A cross-platform, cross-compiler, cross-CPU C header library for programming with SIMD instruction sets. X86 (MMX/SSE/SSE2) GCC and MSVC, PPC Altivec GCC, WMMX ARM GCC, and software emulated SIMD are supported.

It claims to be C++ compatible too.

Edit, after a look at the source/doc:
- It doesn't support Altivec yet, and falls back on the software emulated instructions.
- It hasn't been tested in MinGW.