Common searches

Dosbox 0.70 is out!

Topic actions

Reply 61 of 88, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Malor wrote:

MDK runs smooth as glass at a virtual 133Mhz. The program's internal benchmark claims DOSBox at 133Mhz is slightly faster than a PPro 200.

113% of a P-Pro 200 on my AMD64/3200 cpu. I wonder what speed it would show on a really hot processor!?
Wing Commander IV gives me a speed index of "0" ("7" = 120 MHz Pentium, "10" = 60 MHz Pentium). And Quake's running a LOT faster than it did on my old P166. Very nice indeed... 😁

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 62 of 88, by MutoidMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Neville wrote:

But I'm afraid I've found some serious trouble with v0.70: Some sound setup programs don't seem to like it. With both "Indycar Racing" and "Rally Championship" I've had to configure the sound drivers through VDMS. The programs seem work at first, but then they behave as if I was stepping on the keyboard, moving the menus too fast to select anything properly. I've tried setting cycles to 3000 manually, but the problem persists, and since I've had no problem setting the sound drivers in previous versions of DOSBox, I assume it's a bug introduced in v0.70.

Just wanted to note that I have run across this same problem, but with Archimedean Dynasty. The AD sound setup worked perfectly in v0.65 but fails in v0.70.

Reply 64 of 88, by MutoidMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried only using the mouse to navigate and use AD's sound setup and it still failed for me. I keep getting:

Attachments

Reply 65 of 88, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like a different problem altogether, this setup program has trouble detecting your cards, it's not hanging. Are you using automatic detection? It does weird things with DOSBox, I guess because DOSBox emulates several cards at the time. Try to configure the driver manually, using these settings:

Sound Blaster or Sound Blaster 16
Adress: 220
DMA: 1
IRQ: 7
H(igh)DMA: 5

And try Gravis Ultrasound or Disney Sound Source if that fails.

Reply 69 of 88, by TribeHasSpoken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Like others on this thread, I've noticed some very nice performance improvements over version 0.65. The authors should be commended for their effort. Projects such as this, VDMSound and SCUMMVM have saved me money I would otherwise have had to spend building an old computer. More importantly, without these projects I probably would have become frustrated by my inability to run my old games and just sold them. I'm grateful to you that I never had to do that.

Reply 71 of 88, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Neville wrote:
Forgot to mention, I finally solved my issues with "Screamer". Had nothing to do with DOSBox, just a badly ripped copy. It works […]
Show full quote

Forgot to mention, I finally solved my issues with "Screamer". Had nothing to do with DOSBox, just a badly ripped copy. It works as well, if not better, than in a real Pentium with DOS:

starth001ow3.th.png starth000uv1.th.png

starth002xr1.th.png starth003ua0.th.png

It may not be the best racing game ever, but how can yo refuse speed, eye candy and Ridge Recer-ish gameplay? I can't.

I'm trying to get Screamer to work. I can run it under VDMSound with SAPUCDEX, however it often randomly crashes (testing on the Lake Valley track). It used to do this on my old PC running under windows too!

So I tried DOSBox but after the intro it says INSERT SCREAMER DISK. This is with the E: drive correctly mounted as a CD, and the game even installed from that (and CD music plays). Any ideas? I got a no-CD hack to remove the CD check and then it works, but just mentioning the issue with the unhacked game...

Last edited by VirtuaIceMan on 2007-03-18, 20:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 72 of 88, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My impressions were with a cracked version of "Screamer". I think your problem is that the CD-ROM is not detected properly and the game thinks it's a copy. Make sure the label of the CD is correct, some DOS games checked that.

If that doesn't work, there are several methods to mount a CD under DOSBox, from basic emulation to IDE detection. Make sure you try them all (they're listed in the docs), and if none works post about it in the apps / games phorum, so the DOSBox team can improve CD emulation in future versions.

Reply 73 of 88, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks Neville, I tried the versions I found in the Readme and the following made the CD check work:

mount e e:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl

I should have read the docs sooner; maybe this will let me run World Rally Fever with CD instead of a nasty hacked version that has no CD audio! More later...

Reply 77 of 88, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wd wrote:

How did you mount it before?

I just used mount e e:\ -t cdrom

Not having much luck with World Rally Fever though. Out of the box it complains about needing MSCDEX 2.1, and the hacked version that skips CD check works but runs too fast/glitches - and dropping cycles/percentage it still runs fast - maybe it has it's own internal frameskip.

Plus no sound on it. I'm sure it worked better in an earlier DOSBox.

Reply 78 of 88, by medman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Guys, first of all many thx, I really appreciate your great work! I was just wondering why my Hama Whitestorm PC (USB) Gamepad does not function properly with DosBox 0.70, while it used to work fine with version 0.65. I have this problem with many games. The Dos-Box 0.70 is correctly recognizing that my gamepad is connected but when it comes to using it, it either does not work et all, or calibration is not working properly. I did not have any problems with 0.65. Can you help me? Thx