VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I understand that there are CVS builds of DOSBox, either the "clean" ones, or the ones with added functionality (like ykhwong's build, for example).

I understand that it's possible to create patches, and upload these to SourceForge.

What i do not understand is: will patches be included in the official DosBox build at some point in time? Are there any prerequisites a patch has to meet in order to be included in the official build? Is there something like a priority list, or a "go/no-go" list?

I'm just curious... Couldn't find any information on this topic in the forum. Maybe it would be worth including some info about DOSBox development in the FAQ. For example, i'm still not 100% sure who the "main" developers of DOSBox are (i presume it's QBix and wd), and what their relation with the Patch creators/CVS builders is.

Thanks for enlightening me! 😎

Reply 1 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Main Developers:
Qbix
Harekiet

PATCH CREATORS
Anyone that creates a patch and submits it to the developers.

Patches are only included if there is a need and if the patches goal is to improve game compatibility or add gameplay features to DosBox.

If so then these patches will eventually be added to DosBox after a length review process and bug testing.

As for a priority list I assume Qbix\Harekiet have one but they keep it internal to themselves.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 3, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the active devs
Harekiet
wd
me

basicly decide that. Usually I decide the final thing, but I tend to consult with the other devs for the larger patches. (it depends a bit on the area of the patch as well)

Some patches might never make it to the cvs. Some after a long time and some almost instantly. Hard to predict.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 3, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, thanks very much for the info!

I bet you knew a question like the following one would come now: would it be possible to create some kind of development roadmap, even a rough one? It would be interesting which patches are probable to be included into the main DOSBox build.

I know that creating a list like that would put some kind of "pressure" on the devs. I'm just asking. As a user that loves DOSBox, i have a natural interest in knowing where DOSBox is headed. If the answer to my question is "no", i can live with that. DOSBox is great, anyway. (;