VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox 0.70 crashes on me

Topic actions

First post, by tymime

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been very happy with 0.65, so when I heard of the new version, I got it immediately.
But every time I try to start it up, it makes an attempt at loading the configurations, and then crashes. I've tried modifying dosbox.conf, updating DirectX, and even reading a few online tutorials, but nothing works. What's going on?

(P.S. Computer stats- Windows XP Home Edition, SP1, HP Pavilion a400y, Pentium 4 CPU, 260GHz, 504MB RAM)

Reply 1 of 49, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From the DOSBox homepage: "Some default settings have been changed in this one so be sure to update your configfiles and read the readme"

Did you create a new config file?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 49, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Maybe your download was corrupted? Uninstaill, dowload again, and re-install.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 10 of 49, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

wd : didn't DOSBox from 0.65 on do that automatically?

I did have DOSBox 0.70 crash on me once by setting the windib value though. But that also happend to me with 0.65 though. Not on my desktop.

D.O.G. currently removes that value if a DOSBox 0.65, 0.66 or 0.70 version is run.

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 11 of 49, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

No, actually it depends on the SDL version. <1.2.10 defaults to directx,
1.2.10 and above default to windib. As the windib driver is slower and
has bad keyboard input dosbox forces directx for >1.2.10 as well,
so it matches the old behaviour.
Still it's something to try with weird crashes.

Reply 13 of 49, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heh. Wow. Haven't seen that error with DosBox for a long time. Thanks for posting back.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 15 of 49, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One maybe related issue...
Trying to force windib with SDL_VIDEODRIVER and having output=ddraw will only show blank screen. It's funny cause output=surface works with windib. Log:

SDL_Init: Starting up with SDL windib video driver.
Try to update your video card and directx drivers!
CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file dosbox.conf
MIDI:Opened device:win32
Failed to create ddraw surface, back to normal surface.

I have no idea why it would then fail to create the surface 😕

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 16 of 49, by ArtillaryGoat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the same problem, however I have a 500Mhz G3 iBook 192 MB RAM OS X 10.3.9

I am not particularly experienced with editing config files (though I understand the basics), and was also hoping someone might know the mac-specific settings I need to fix.

Reply 19 of 49, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
gulikoza wrote:
One maybe related issue... Trying to force windib with SDL_VIDEODRIVER and having output=ddraw will only show blank screen. It's […]
Show full quote

One maybe related issue...
Trying to force windib with SDL_VIDEODRIVER and having output=ddraw will only show blank screen. It's funny cause output=surface works with windib. Log:

SDL_Init: Starting up with SDL windib video driver.
Try to update your video card and directx drivers!
CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file dosbox.conf
MIDI:Opened device:win32
Failed to create ddraw surface, back to normal surface.

I have no idea why it would then fail to create the surface 😕

I have been busy trying to get my own MSYS/MinGW build of DOSBox-0.70 to work. Initially I got my self-compiled dosbox-0.70 to work with a pre-compiled SDL-1.2.11 from http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-devel-1.2.1 … -mingw32.tar.gz. Then I decided to have a go using a locally compiled version from http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.11.tar.gz. Didn't work 🙁 🙁

The DOSBox status window showed up with its "CONFIG: Using default settings. Create a ........" message, and immediately after Windows put up a dialog: dosbox.exe has encounted a problem and must be terminated. And I was offered to send an error-report to Microsoft.

I tracked down all the SDL-files that my from-the-sources-version installed, removed them, and installed the pre-compiled version. Worked. Removed the working version, recompiled my own version, installed, and got the same problem.

I then discovered the test-programs that comes with SDL. None of them crashed.

I tried starting DOSBox with different variations of DOSBOX_SDL_OUTPUT=xxxxx, but I still got the same crash.

Only when I started it with SDL_VIDEODRIVER=windib wouild my DOSBox start up with my from-the-sources version of SDL-1.2.11.

So now I ask you gentlemen: What can I have done wrong? Any compile flags that I need to set when compiling SDL? Any debugging flags I should try to set when compiling DOSBox?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions