VOGONS

Common searches

Warcraft 2

Topic actions

First post, by warcraft2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, i have try many time to play warcraft2 with dosbox, i have read the FAQ but nothing is ok.

my harddrive is C
my cdrom is E
my dvdrom is F

i have a copy of warcraft 2 "Beyond The Portal" in dos mode, i'm on win XP
the game seem to be playable with dosbox, but it tell me it can not find the cd. I have patch the game with nocd but it's the same message.

my game is installed on my computer at C:\war2

I open dosbox and writing:

mount c c:\war2
mount e e:\ -t cdrom
c:
war2

and i have the message again, at this line:

i have try all the choice of this FAQ
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php? … s%2FMount#CDROM

[ Sorry if i don't speak very well in English ]

There are someone who can help me to play to that great nostalgia game?

Thanks

Reply 2 of 11, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

try adding a label to the cd drive.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 3 of 11, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't need to set a label when playing Warcraft 2, i doo need a -ioctl though.
And the

, change that to

mount C C:\

as executing the previous mount-command causes the game to be directly in the base of the mounted virtual drive and some games really don't like it.
The only problem with my suggestion to mount C C:\ is that then DOSBox has full acces to your harddrive, corrupt games might just corrupt some files on your harddrive and as it has full acces to the harddrive, everything can happen. To fix this, just copy the entire C:\war2 directory to C:\DOSBOXC\War2 using the Windows Explorer.
Then do the harddrive mount like this : mount C C:\DOSBOXC. By doing this DOSBox only has acces to the DOSBOXC directory. I must admit that I myself also mount the full C though.

I open dosbox and writing: […]
Show full quote

I open dosbox and writing:

c:
war2

and i have the message again, at this line:

What does it say when typing the mount for you CD-Rom?

Also, you could try out newer frontends like D.O.G. or DBGL. These have all the new features for DOSBOx 0.70

D.O.G. 1.53 supports 0.70 and is in its release state (Still making it more user friendly)
DBGL 0.54 is also compatible with 0.70

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 4 of 11, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not 100% sure (can't test it right now), but I think Warcraft II has some problems with a CD-ROM drive "E:".
Have you tried "mount d E:\ -t cdrom -ioctl"?
And you should follow ErikGG's advice and make a special DOSBox folder where you install your DOS games into. Just to make sure you don't kill your whole Windows installation by accident.

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 5 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Everyone seems to have different suggestions 😀 My suggestion is to undo / delete what you have done so far, and reinstall the game using my 60 seconds guide.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 11, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Glad it works,

One warning though if your using 1.53, don't use the music drive. It is built in the Experimental 1.53 version of D.O.G. but it is still in its alpha stage. If used with DOSBox 0.70 then the SDL.dll will be corrupted.

By the end of next week I'll release the 1.53 version officially. It will be the current 1.53 version with some improvements occording to Internet Mouses and Keyboards. It also has some more bugfixes in it. And a HUGE load of more userfriendlyness. The music drive will then only be present in the experimental build of D.O.G. 1.54.

Features for D.O.G. 1.54
- Cue file generator and ISO/MP3 ripper
- Joy2Key feature.
- Mapper file builder.
- Customizeable columns. Allows people to add more columns then there where in the previous D.O.G.'s.
- And so on and on (Let me know if I'm missing some feature you like.)

Have fun,

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 8 of 11, by Wafer_Love

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A lot of people seem to be having a problem with this so I made a step by step tutorial for it, which you can read here http://www.geocities.com/onyxsoulrpg/dosbox.html

Feel free to pass it on.

Reply 9 of 11, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The tutorial is fine and all, but here's a big, fat warning:

DO NOT MOUNT THE ROOT OF YOUR C:\ DRIVE IN DOSBOX!

The reason is simple: by mounting your real c:\ drive as the emulated c:\ drive, the emulator (DOSBox) has full write access to your real c:\ drive, and all directories on it. If anything goes wrong inside the emulation, or if a malicious program writes to c:\, your data could be destroyed, deleted or damaged. It is _very_ simple to work around this: just create a special directory for mounting DOSBox's virtual c:\ drive to.

Step by step:
- In windows, create a new special DOSBox directory. This directory can be anywhere on your harddisk(s). Example: use explorer to create c:\DOSPrograms or d:\DOSPrograms (in ErikGG's example above, that directory is called DOSBOXC).
- Inside DOSBox, mount the directory you have just created as the virtual c:\ drive. To do this, type "mount c: c:\DOSPrograms".

That's it. DOSBox will use the directory you have mounted as a virtual c:\ drive. The risk of data loss or corruption is now minimal, because there's only DOSBox-related data in this directory, and DOSBox has no write access "outside" this directory.

If you have already installed games to your real c:\ drive, simply move the directory holding the game (in this case, it could be c:\WAR2) to the DOSBox directory you have created. If you mount that directory in DOSBox, as i have described, the game's data will still be in c:\WAR2 for DOSBox.

The whole concept of virtual directories is a bit confusing at first, but you'll soon understand it, it's quite logical. There's absolutely no reason to use the real c:\ drive for mounting.

Reply 10 of 11, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yes, nice image-guided tutorial.

Another thing to mention is that the usecd parameter is zerobased,
so if you have one cdrom (your case) you should use "-usecd 0"
(if i don't mess up totally with this).

Reply 11 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I like ADDiCT's added guide on why not to mount c:\ and what to do instead. I have to remember that one for future reference (instead of writing it myself) 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper