VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Syphor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, first off, as this appears to be an issue with DB 0.70 itself, I hope I'm posting this in the correct spot... it could probably also fit inside the Developer's forum. Sorry if this is in the wrong area. 😖

Computer Specs:
AMD64 3400+
1.5gb of system ram
WinXP Home SP2
SB Audigy 2 ZS
nVidia Geforce 7600GS/256mb
Running twin 17" monitors, Dualview mode, 1152x864/32b each.

Reproducible: Always on 0.70.

Issue:
I simply cannot run Dosbox - it jumps to 100% CPU usage and sits there, draining everything. Note that this happens no matter what settings I've changed in dosbox.conf, including removing it just to try. I've attempted to set cycles down to 500, with no change. It doesn't freeze, exactly - you can still type into it, yet it responds very, very slowly, just like the rest of the system while it's hanging up.

Things I've done:
Fiddled with dosbox.conf right and left, trying just about all core and video related settings, including random combinations of both.
Checked to make sure that it didn't seem to be due to the monitor the window was on. Note that a similar effect happens on 0.65 (and 0.63) when the window is dragged onto the secondary monitor. (Switch point seems to be somewhere about 50% onto the secondary)
Disabled all audio emulation just in case. No change.

Thoughts:
Since the older versions did it when off the primary screen device, it might be something video-related? Dunno how much testing's been done with multimonitor machines. I really have no idea beyond that. 0.65 runs beautifully. For the moment I've run back to 0.65... Suggestions, anyone?

Reply 2 of 13, by Syphor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Whoops, forgot to note I'd actually done that... (along with SDL_net.dll for good measure)
In any case, it won't start up due to a missing export in the older version.

Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point SDL_strlcat could not be located in the dynamic link library SDL.dll.

Reply 3 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you have an analog gamepad/joystick connected?
Have you tried other SDL apps? Like ScummVM/Qemu/etc...

You mentioned "video related settings". Did you mean output=?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 13, by Syphor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Output, Frameskip, and Scaler, actually.
I do have an analog joystick connected - a USB Sidewinder Precision 2. Sometimes there's also an Xbox 360 controller connected, though not at the moment.
It just crossed my mind to try the NEW SDL with the old DOSBox, and boom - 0.65 exhibits the problem. The official build of 1.2.11.0 from libsdl.org also causes this in both versions of DB.
Wonderful. </sarcasm>

For what it's worth, I also disabled one monitor and it still caused this. I was about to say that DOSBox might not be at fault, except that ScummVM seems to run fine with the official build of 1.2.11.0. I don't have a game to run with it right now, as I'm on dialup and they seem to be a bit large for that to get instantly...but it boots and the interface moves at full speed with no excess CPU usage. Also GLTron and some other random OpenGL/SDL demos I had floating around work on the official SDL binary with no issues.

Reply 6 of 13, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The SDL.dll from 0.65 isn't compatible with 0.70 or 0.66 as it misses key functions it needs as you saw with the Entry Point Not Found.

The SDL.dll from the SDL site is also quite buggy with some settings. The best thing to do is reinstall 0.70 or use the sdl.dll from ykhwongs DOSBox build.

If you had a Entry Point Not Found the best thing to do is to do a CTRL-ALT-DEL and open up the Taskmanager from Windows. Then kill off the still running DOSBox's. When DOSBox has an Entry Point Not Found error it keeps on running just using up CPU.

I'll put it in the FAQ. Don't know what DOSBox does in Linux when something like a Entry Point Not Found error occurs.

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 7 of 13, by Syphor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

*sigh*
First off, the SDL dll from ykhwong's DOSBox compilation caused exactly the same problem.
Next, I dunno if it's just 0.70 or something in my system, but DB didn't stay running in the background after the entry point failures - I checked the process list, twice. And CPU usage was normal.
Since DB seems to be the main SDL application (that I have handy) causing problems, either the others just don't hit the problem point somehow or other, or it's partly DB's fault with Qbix's comment about forcing SDL into certain videodrivers. I guess for the moment I'm going to end back up on 0.65 because as of right now I simply can't use 0.70.
Any further suggestions are welcome, of course. 😒

Reply 9 of 13, by Syphor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm a little confused - what exactly do you have in mind? Safe mode - or using the compatibility option to drop the resolution on execute? Safe mode's usually higher res than normal VGA though for me.
I did go ahead and test the compatibility options - didn't change anything.

Reply 10 of 13, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yes think he means safe mode.
Also try different drivers for your graphics card and then
re-test all output= modes.
And remove all joysticks/other input devices besides mouse/keyboard.

Reply 11 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you press F8 before XP boots you should enter the boot menu where you can boot into VGA mode (uses XP vga.sys to access VESA bios of your card) or you can enter safe mode which will do the same thing.

I just mentioned VGA mode instead of safe mode because the only difference between VGA mode and normal boot is that your are using vga.sys, whereas when you boot into Safe Mode, alot of other drivers and software will not load.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 12 of 13, by Syphor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hm. I never noticed/remembered the VGA mode on that screen. Never did use it as I needed safe mode when I start that. I'll give it a shot later on today.
Regarding the video drivers, I'm using the current ForceWare set (93.71) and have had no other issues with them. Reinstalling them might cause whatever's tripping DB up to get reset though, so it's worth a shot. (Still strikes me as something should be a little more flexible if that's the case, though)
It'll have to wait until I'm not busy (due to the reboots involved) but I'll fiddle with it. Thanks for the ideas, even if they end up not helping in the end. 🤣

Reply 13 of 13, by Syphor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know it's been a while since I last posted (in DosBox General) about my issues with DosBox 0.70.. and I just wanted to make sure that I'd at least let people know what happened. I've completely reinstalled my video drivers (including a version or two back) and the like, and nothing changed. I tested in VGA mode during this and DB refused to start at all while there, much less cause the rampant CPU usage and slowdown problem. I did go back to the newest drivers after that, for the record.

I'll be using 0.65 for now (it works great!) but I honestly would suggest looking at what you're doing with SDL, as from the earlier tests and statements it sounded that it may have been a combination of your settings and a possible bug you mentioned in SDL - which isn't your realm. I'm no expert on DosBox or SDL, of course... I could be way off base in my guesses here. In any case, I'd hope it could be bypassed with a different way of handling the video. I have no idea how, sorry, just that other SDL apps don't exhibit this on the same SDL release. 🙁
I'm willing to test and help supply debug data as to what's going on if someone wants to take some time and give it a look. Just PM me, I think.

Hopefully I'll be able to run the next release without problems. Keep up the good work - without you it wouldn't be around at all! 😁