VOGONS

Common searches

does dosbox support MIDI IN yet?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 25, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

GUS midi in *should* be working, I spent some time playing with it. With Fast Tracker 2 and some other trackers it was working, maybe even with Ultramid, AFAIR. (I didn't test the updated patch, just remade diffs, as last ones were really ugly and probably didn't compile). Next is to redownload some apps so I could check that it's functional and think of a better way to autodetect which device handles input (based on reg writes), as sending to all of them might cause too many irq's: sb16 irq,gus irq2 and mpu401 irq). Also in some cases dosbox automatically redirects input to midi output device, so I decided to disable input by default.
Intelligent midi input is currently still broken, which AFAIR, dbarton is interested in(?), but I remember that I had fixed all (output) regressions in intelligent mode games and apps that I am aware of.

With MIDI Yoke or LoopBE you can easily route midi input to Dosbox. However I don't think that GUS midi will produce better result than modern GM synths (because of downsampling artefacts) without some clever FFT work. Yep, it might take off some burden with multicores, but same as GM synths.

Also I have no idea at this moment if it is compatible with testMT32 patch, which dbarton asked me about.

Reply 22 of 25, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
To update on this: I haven't touched anything for a while. However I did not give up and will try to finish up the patch, and (finally) hook up the real mpu-401 that's sitting on the shelf here 😀

Hmm, it's already 3 years from when this message was posted, it's time to pick up and finish it. I will concentrate on this probably in following months.