VOGONS

Common searches

CD-ROM issues in OSX

Topic actions

First post, by prismra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all, thanks to all the devs for the AMAZING work you have done on this new version for Intel Macs. All the soundblaster problems with dynamic core are gone and the performance is wonderful.

However, I am having a number of problems with games not recognizing CD-ROMS. I mount the CD like so:

mount d /Volumes/DISK1 -type cdrom -usecd 0 -label DISK1

and it mounts successfully. It does not, however, say MSCDEX installed...

I could of sworn it did before.. I don't know if it's an issue or not.

Anyway, I can run the installer but when the game launches it crashes saying no CD rom available. I've tried this with both Under a Killing moon and Relentless both exhibiting similar behavior... "No CD inserted"

mount -cd returns:

0. Fake CD-ROM Device

Any ideas?

Rocking the following:

Roland MT-32
Roland SC-55 Sound Canvas

Reply 1 of 44, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

You were sooooo close, but there is no cigar for you 😀

It is -t, not -type.

Seems like DOSBox silently ignores the unknown -type option. It really should give an error IMNSHO.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 44, by prismra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

oops. 😊

ok, that what I was doing first and I checked it again and it still doesn't work.

mount d /Volumes/ADELINE -t cdrom -usecd 0 -label ADELINE

Relentless still doesn't work. That is the label of the CD as it shows on my desktop...

UAKM does work now, however...

Rocking the following:

Roland MT-32

Reply 7 of 44, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well I'm sure you could but you'd only get the Data. You could create a CUE/BIN image, not sure what program you would use to do that in OSX though.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 44, by prismra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, here is another issue. UAKM asks you to swap disks quite frequently. I swap the disk out and hit CTRL-F4 and it still doesn't detect the disk as being correct. I exit, remount the disk with the label DISK2 then I can start the game. Sort of. Because as soon as you hit New Game, it asks for Disk1 again and guess what? No go. Why doens't CTRL-F4 autoupdate the disk label based on what it detects from the CD itself?

Rocking the following:

Roland MT-32

Reply 9 of 44, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

If I remember correctly, the disk swapping works best with images. You mount them all onto the same drive-letter, something like this:

Z:\>mount D /path/to/image1 /path/to/image2 /path/to/image3 ,.......

and the CTRL-F4 will swap you through them.

Reply 10 of 44, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want disc swapping, you definately should use imgmount. You need to give up all the images in the same imgmount line and then use CTRL F4 to swap between them. Dosbox doesn't give you a message though(it should in the console if you ask me).

Reply 12 of 44, by prismra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can anyone explain why this is NOT a problem with the Windows version? I don't seem to remember having to use the 'label' command even once with this same set of games. I am positive I never did with UAKM. Is there a way to set up the Mac version so it automatically labels the disk based on what OS X reads from the CD itself? I assume that is what is going on with Windows because it just works..

Rocking the following:

Roland MT-32

Reply 15 of 44, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

As far as I know, none of the developers has a Macintosh, so unless you want to donate one, I am afraid that you can expect to wait a long, long time.

Reply 16 of 44, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If you don't have a debugger at hand but can compile
the sources you could add LOG_MSG calls to
cdromDrive::cdromDrive (drive_local.cpp)
CMscdex::GetVolumeName (dos_mscdex.cpp)
or some lower-level functions like ReadSectors
to see what label information they can get or
where/if it goes wrong.

Reply 17 of 44, by prismra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would LOVE to help but my knowledge of coding stopped about 10 years ago in high school when I was learning pascal so..

Anyone want to PM me and tell me how I can do this? I can't donate a Mac but I have the time and inclination to help..

Rocking the following:

Roland MT-32

Reply 19 of 44, by azumanga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I have solved the mystery why the volume label is not automatically set on Mac OS X:
CDROM_Interface_SDL::ReadSectors() (found in src/dos/cdrom.h) does nothing except returning "false".

Edit:
It looks like this due to a limitation of SDL, so beyond extending SDL, the only way of properly solving this would probably be writing an ioctl-based cdrom interface for Mac OS X.