VOGONS

Common searches

CD-ROM issues in OSX

Topic actions

Reply 41 of 44, by darkgamorck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Could you explain why the ripping/mounting work-around isn't pratical? I mean imgmount will mount raw bin/cue images with multiple tracks correctly. It will also allow you to mount multiple images and "switch" disks using CTRL-F4.

So unless you have a harddrive space issue - but then I would suggest burning the CD bin/cue images onto a single DVD and running everything off of that.

So what is the problem with this work-around?

Reply 42 of 44, by prismra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't mean to come across like an ingrate (despite my previous apparently ire-inducing post) but it would be great if it worked like the windows version.

I can have my Windows DOSbox.conf file automount any CD that is in my drive and simply pop in any other disk as needed by the game in question with no issues.

With the OSX version, you have to manually mount the disk each time since the OS will mount it under /Volumes using the disk label. Unless I'm mistaken, you can't have it just mount whatever is in your cd drive automatically; that is a pain.

On top of that, ripping disks is time consuming and a waste of HD space when you could simply pop in the disk.

Rocking the following:

Roland MT-32
Roland SC-55 Sound Canvas

Reply 43 of 44, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just use a separate dosbox.conf file for each game and mount the disc in the autoexec section or just use DBGL.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 44 of 44, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
prismra wrote:

With the OSX version, you have to manually mount the disk each time since the OS will mount it under /Volumes using the disk label. Unless I'm mistaken, you can't have it just mount whatever is in your cd drive automatically; that is a pain.

True, that's a disadvantage of the MacOS operating system. A workaround is maybe to know the disk number of the CD drive, as written in this thread of OSXFAQ:
Mount both the iso9660 _and_ HFS partitions of a hybrid CD

This is what I see for the CD in /dev […]
Show full quote

This is what I see for the CD in /dev

/dev/disk1
/dev/disk1s1
/dev/disk1s1s1
/dev/disk1s1s2

It depends on the number of Volumes mounted, which disk number the CD currently is.

Maybe mounting /Volumes/disk1 (for example) will do but:
1) The user have to know which disk number the CD currently is
2) I still have to check, if it would work with different CD mediums.

Klimawandel.