VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by rethcir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I'm a little familiar with dosbox, used to use it to play some wing commander games etc. Right now me and my roommate are on a bit of a C&C Red Alert kick. We have the re-release version which recently came out for XP. We want to try and get a network game of it going, but unfortunately it seems like both Internet and LAN (thru an unofficial patch) don't work, most likely because I am on Vista and it doesn't support IPX.

Anyways, I saw that Dosbox now has null modem emulation. I was thinking this could work. However, I'm wondering what the scope of the null modem emulation is. Is it only for things that are run within dosbox? Or could we set up dosbox instances which are talking to each other, and then run Red Alert (thru the windows frontend)?

I'm thinking running the Dos version of Red Alert within DosBox may work in this way somehow but I dunno.

Any input is appreciated
Matt

Reply 1 of 5, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I have never used it, but DOSBox can emulate IPX. It is all explained in the README.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 5, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You don't need the IPX protocol on your Vista to play IPX games in DOSBox. It emulates a IPX network using UDP/IP. Set ipx=true in dosbox.conf and use the 'ipxnet startserver' and 'ipxnet connect' commands (see guides forum).
Last time I checked both IPX and nullmodem worked for the original C&C.

The nullmodem emulates a null modem cable between two DOSBox programs. It's described in the readme how to use it. (start the server before connecting with the client)

1+1=10

Reply 4 of 5, by rethcir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I understand I'll give it a shot later when I'm home.

This is awsome functionality by the way. I wish someone would rip that Virtual IPX out of Dosbox and release it as a driver for Vista.

Reply 5 of 5, by Sephiroth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My launcher application allows you to sue modem or null-modem in DOSBox. It is a win32 application with a basic GUI. Search this forum for "486 Launcher" to find the thread containing the ZIP.

486 Launcher v2.0 is now under development!