VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mr coffee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I feel like an idiot here. 😕

I have installed and run DOSbox on my laptop (Windows XP Pro also with an AMD Althlon) and configured it, run DOS programs on it, fine.

On top of that, I ran it on my desktop before I did a windows repair install yesterday.

Now when I run DOSbox the window just shows up for a second or so and says it is configuring ... and then closes.

I've run chkdsk, a virus and spyware scan... and the built-in ms-dos emulator doesn't seem to want to work either.

Anybody got a clue what is wrong here??

TIA,
mr coffee

EPoX 8KRAI-Pro mobo, aka 8VTAI
AMD Athlon XP \ Sempron 3300+
768 megs DDR 266 mhz
nVidia GeForce 2 GTS videocard
Windows XP Pro

Reply 1 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

weird. DOSBox never says configuring. It would only say.
loading configuration file or something like that.
Did the system repair change your graphics drivers perharps ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 7, by mr coffee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Qbix,

Well, I ran a couple of other scans to slow down the cpu so I could read the thing before it closes. The Window is titled

"DOSbox Status Window"

And the text is

"CONFIG: Loading primary settings from conf file D:\Program Files\DOSbox\dosbox.conf"

I don't get the regular DOSbox window with the blue "Welcome to Dosbox 0.70" box and the Z:> prompt at all. The status window hangs there a second and then closes suddenly.

I tried a couple of things with my graphics driver settings under "nWiz" (the graphic card control panel) and will try a couple of different nVidia drivers if you think that might be it and report back.

weird is right 😕

Thanks for a great emulator and your help here. It was so cool to see it working. I love DOS!

768 megs DDR 266 mhz
Windows XP Pro

Reply 3 of 7, by mr coffee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

GOT IT!!!!!!!!! 😁 😁 😁

I turned on ALL hardware acceleration and it started working. I had been trying less and less accellerations instead of more trying to get it to work. Hope this helps someone else.

Is there a FAQ on videocards keeping DOSbox from running that I have just missed somewhere?

Thanks again VERY much for help and this great emulator!!!

768 megs DDR 266 mhz
Windows XP Pro

Reply 4 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What is it with all these people not using acceleration? I know that 2003 has it turned down by default but I can't think of why XP would have it turned down....The only way XP does that is if someone manually does it....

There are a few games that require reduction of hardware acceleration so I guess if these people are doing that then that may be why.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 7, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

What is it with all these people not using acceleration? I know that 2003 has it turned down by default but I can't think of why XP would have it turned down....The only way XP does that is if someone manually does it....

There are a few games that require reduction of hardware acceleration so I guess if these people are doing that then that may be why.

Well I know of a few games like that. Problem is, there's no way to attach this to a game profile that I know off, so it's easy to turn it down and then forget to turn it back up later.

Reply 7 of 7, by mr coffee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

It may have been from the registry - I can't say for sure. But I think the nVidia control panel sets it in the middle acceleration-wise by default on it's own when it's installed IIRC.

It might be good to add into the FAQ file - I had no idea that the video card acceleration setting could keep DOSbox from running. And I think I read most of the FAQs I could find before posting. Not complaining, just suggesting it might help others...

Thaks again for your help.

768 megs DDR 266 mhz
Windows XP Pro