VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by squigum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I downloaded DOSBox to run my old King's Quest Collection games on my new Windows Vista. I was following the steps to run the program and I came across the following error:

C:\>cd KQ1
Unable to change to: KQ1

Any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance. 😕

Reply 2 of 14, by squigum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I did that it still prompted the below:

Unable to change to: King's Quest I Remake

The installation that I did was I just installed everything for windows and then I am trying to run them under DOSBox. I do not know how to install it otherwise under DOSBox or MS DOS like it suggets.

Thank you for your help.

Reply 3 of 14, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Any chance it might be c:\sierra\kq1 under dosbox?
(Also for my version of the king's quest compilation I have the directory as kq1sci for King's Quest 1.)
Wouldn't hurt to try a DIR to see what directories are available.

Reply 4 of 14, by squigum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm just a mess aren't I? So what I did now was finally got the KQ1 installed through DOS. That works well and fine. I can't really get back in it though after I enter dir I am lost.

The other problem is when I tried to install KQ6 it asked for a CD change and when I did that it said to press any key to continue. It never continued in installation.

Thank you for the patience with an unskilled but determined user 😅

Reply 6 of 14, by squigum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I do that that is where I get lost. I followed the 60 seconds intructions and it says to type:
D:>C:
C:>dir
C:>mygame

I typed
E:>C: (because my cd-rom is E)

After that it displays the c: directory and waits for another command. When I installed it said to get back into the game you type the following:
c:\sierra\KQC\KQ1NEW\
and then KQ1NEW

This does not work.

Reply 7 of 14, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DIR is simply to list what directories are available.
To change to a directory you need to use CD.
In your case
c:
cd sierra\KQC\KQ1NEW
followed by running the game.

About the trouble recognizing the second cd, dosbox has trouble with when a cd is changed. I don't know whether CTRL-F4 (Rescan) works for cds yet. Otherwise you might have to try making and mounting iso images, and I don't know anything about that.

Reply 9 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
squigum wrote:
When I do that that is where I get lost. I followed the 60 seconds intructions and it says to type: D:>C: C:>dir C:>mygame […]
Show full quote

When I do that that is where I get lost. I followed the 60 seconds intructions and it says to type:
D:>C:
C:>mygame

I typed
E:>C: (because my cd-rom is E)

After that it displays the c: directory and waits for another command. When I installed it said to get back into the game you type the following:
c:\sierra\KQC\KQ1NEW\
and then KQ1NEW

This does not work.

Okay... I have added an important note to the 60 seconds guide. Hopefully this will clear up the drive letter confusion a little bit:

Note 1: Always use C and D for the emulated drives. It doesn't matter what your real drives are. If your DOSBox stuff is in F, then do a mount C "F:\DOSBox stuff\MyGame". If your real CD-ROM drive is E:, then do a mount D "E:\ -t cdrom -ioctl".

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 10 of 14, by squigum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What ended up working for me was the following:

mount c "C:\DOSBox stuff\MyGame"

mount e "e:\" KQ_CD2

c:

cd sierra\KQC\KQ6D

KQ6

And then the game runs. I suppose there is more than one way to skin a cat. Thank you all for the help 😀 I'm sure I'll be back when I try to get the 7th one to work.

Reply 13 of 14, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't be sorry, I didn't mean to sound disrespectful. Had I started to use computers a few years later I wouldn't have a clue about DOS commands either, it's an obsolete system after all we're talking here.

A launcher is not a separate emulator, but a complement to DOSBox that does all the typing for you, all you need to do is enter the name of the executable and configure some global settings.

I've tried several, and I found DBGL quite useful, hence my recommendation.

Reply 14 of 14, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't want to sound disrespectfult but
QUIT USING VISTA!!!
At least until they don't fix it or until components that can run it at a reasonable speed are available