VOGONS

Common searches

dosbox 0.70

Topic actions

First post, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried out dosbox 0.70 and i really like it. It is better than 0.65. All i changed in my configurations were core=dynamic and cycles=3000. I know that not all games will run in dynamic mode so if a game won't run in dynamic i will change it to normal core. I like dynamic mode more than normal mode though. I try to use the least amount of cycles as possible to get a game at a playable speed.

I use the frameskips a lot.

Reply 4 of 8, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dynamic cycles have their use and their disadvantages. Some games like Broken Sword won't work well with auto cycles (weird animations) but also, a large amount of games show "glitches" in the sound. This is probably caused by cycles trying to "catch up".

Cycles are not directly linked to speed - some parts of a game will stress your CPU at 20 000 cycles while others will easily allow for 100 000 or more. You can easily notice this by sound breaking up. So, say you're playing a game and are at a part in the game which requires far less power and allows for many cycles - like, say, a 2D screen. Suddenly you move to a 3D part and auto cycles quickly tries to drop the cycles to 50 000. This is when your sound will glitch. Some games have this constantly when a sound plays too (like Beneath A Steel Sky) so it's better then to stick to fixed cycles.

Reply 5 of 8, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

or use undocumented cycle limit 😉

abyss wrote:

I use the frameskips a lot.

With the graphics and sclaer optimizations, frameskip isn't that important anymore...

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza