VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/ … /m/312008373831

By the way, Gabriel Knight CD definitely isn't working for me. I can get it to install from XP's cmd, but when trying to run it on DOSBox the music at the title screen doesn't appear, it crashes to desktop when selecting the intro movie, there are no voices and teh text goes by too fast (reducing text speed makes no effect) Confused.

Anyone have this game?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 2, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/ … /m/312008373831

By the way, Gabriel Knight CD definitely isn't working for me. I can get it to install from XP's cmd, but when trying to run it on DOSBox the music at the title screen doesn't appear, it crashes to desktop when selecting the intro movie, there are no voices and teh text goes by too fast (reducing text speed makes no effect) Confused.

Anyone have this game?

The problems are simply because he installed it through WIndows XP instead of in Dosbox like he should have. I installed the game myself so I know it works. When he set it up in Windows, the game very likely couldn't detect SB settings or if it did, gave it different settings from what Dosbox uses.

The result is that the game tries to play the speech but because speech and text are linked to eachother, and because speech refuses to play, text will also be far too fast. The solution is to turn either voices off (then it will just use its own timer of how long to display on screen instead of measuring itself to the lenght of the audio file) or run install.exe in dosbox and set up sound correctly which is probably the best choice.

Reply 2 of 2, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All he needs to do is to edit his RESOURCE.CFG file to reflect the differences in paths. This is why it is usually best to have noobs install through DOSBox. They won't have to edit anything.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers