Rank Member
Rank

Got cycles on auto, but it sets them to 3000 anyway... what gives? 😐

Reply 4 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can change cycles on-the-fly using the Cycles command.

E.G. cycles 10000 at the DOSBox prompt.

I am quite happy with the default cycles behaviour and I usually only modify cycles when needed (for certain applications). Most old games (8088-8086) will work just fine with 3000 cycles. Besides, sometimes you need a low level cycles profile to get soundcard autodetection routines to work.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 5 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Besides, sometimes you need a low level cycles profile to get soundcard autodetection routines to work.

Exactly. Sierra gamers should be familiar with the "Unable to initialize your audio hardware" error. This is not unlike Sierra's old work around of starting the game with the turbo switch turned off and turning it back on after the soundcard initialized.

Reply 6 of 7, by Darkfalz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Setting to cycles works better, even on "max" if I play Quake for example, it runs smooth and then skips a whole bunch of frames so it's very jerky.

I noticed another problem, if I set aspect true and resolution to original, and play for example 320x200 game it will switch to 320x200, but it will not calculate the resolution properly and I'll get a slightly squashed screen which will badly distort the picture due to scaling - if I am using surface, it completely corrupts the screen. So I have to turn aspect=false to use proper resolutions, but then it makes windowed stuff the wrong aspect. This was all fine under 0.65.

Speed is so much better though, all my DOS games run at smooth 70 FPS, even Quake (at 320x200 of course). Very nice indeed. So it's like having a P100 DOS machine.