VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by synarque

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone !

I seem to be the only one suffering from this problem ...
Machine :
Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo laptop
Intel Core 2 Duo 2*1.7GHz
Geforce Go 7600 (can't remember it's ram, 256 or 512 I guess)
2 Go ram
120 Go HDD
Using both DosBox 0.65 and 0.70

The problem I have is that when I am using fullscreen with Dosbox (either of the two version I mentionned), the keyboard gets all sluggish. I tried various settings possible, (with or without my usb keyboard, with minimum process environment, with dosbox.conf settings changed). Nothing seems to be efficient. Perhaps it is a common problem ? Though I really did not see any post about it.

And while I am at it, do anyone has solved Genewars problem with DosBox (I mean the horrendous land drawing, due to VESA) ?

And also, I seem not to be able to configure 0.70's windowed resolution, and as I cannot play fullscreen, I'm forced to use default 800*600 and it's really tiny !

I hope someone can help !
Thank you very much !

Reply 1 of 10, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> And while I am at it, do anyone has solved Genewars problem with DosBox (I mean the horrendous land drawing, due to VESA) ?

You have to delete some file (recently there was another thread).

1+1=10

Reply 2 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

keyboard sluggyness: try to reduce the cycles Dosbox uses. When on default setting "cycles=max" it may happen (I think it did happen to me a couple of times) that keyboard input slows down. To reduce cycles press "Ctrl+F11" and see if that helps

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 10, by synarque

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No it still does not change anything, no matter what the cycle number is. Besides, my keyboard input is fine if I'm in windowed version, so I believe it may not be a matter of processor but rather a problem with the video part of DosBox !

Reply 7 of 10, by synarque

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gave your method a shot, but still, it did not do the trick !
It's too bad because there are a lot of really fun games that uses keyboard only, and playing it on windowed mode is really not so fun !

eg bioforge who's laggy enough not to slow it down anymore !
And what a pain in the a.. not to be able to play the original Doom or Wolf3D fullscreen !

Reply 9 of 10, by synarque

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Problem solved and excuse lme it had nothing to do with DosBox. I just bought Command and Conquer The last decade and I noticed that the keyboard was also sluggy in those games. So I did update my drivers, for nothing, this did not change anything. And then I thought a little more deeply and remembered that quake4's opengl did crash at launch because of some soft that was installed with my window's version : topDesk and UberIcon 😒

Killed the two processes forever, and the problems are gone ...

Sorry guys ---- Do never use those two dumb softs ... 😅