VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by cinemaholic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This question stems from a specific game, but is meant broadly as a dosbox question.

A warning pops up on one game about insufficient memory related to DPMI while in dosbox 0.70, but also references something called 'conventional memory' and 'initial environment'. The userguide for this game (Battlespire) suggests a solution for a dos box window in Windows 95, and my question is whether and how dosbox can emulate the same directions. The directions are as follows:

--
This is the most common problem with running the
game. Around 99% of this can be traced back to an
improper properties setting of the Windows 95 DOS
box. In order to run the game from a Windows 95 DOS
box, you must configure it do so. Here is how:

Start up the DOS box like you normally would.

If the DOS box is full screen, make it windowed
by hitting the alt + enter key combination.

There is an icon in the toolbar of the DOS
window that looks like a hand holding up a sheet of
paper. This is the properties icon. Click on it.

Now you should be looking at the properties sheet
of the DOS box. There is a 'memory' tab near the
top of that sheet. Click on that.

Now you are looking at the memory properties of
the DOS box. Near the bottom is an area that is
labelled "MS-DOS Protected Mode (DPMI) Memory".
This value is normally set to "AUTO" when Windows
95 is installed. That won't work with Battlespire.
What you need to do here is to change this value
to '65535' by typing it in manually.

Near the top of the memory properties sheet is
an area that is labelled "Conventional Memory".
Inside that area is something called "Initial
environment". Change the value in there to 2048.

Now click on the 'OK' button, and close the DOS
box by typing 'exit' at the command prompt. The
next time you open up that DOS box, it will use
the new memory configuration. Battlespire will
now run without bombing out randomly.
--

Can dosbox simulate these changes in dosbox.conf? There is no setting for 'conventional memory' or 'initial environment', so how could dosbox simulate these Windows 95 dos box changes?

Reply 2 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

you can set the Dosbox "RAM" to 64 with the setting "memsize=64" in the [dosbox] section of dosbox.conf. This could be enough since people are able to run the game with Dosbox as the search reveals...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 10, by cinemaholic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried resetting the memsize to 64, but it actually slows the game down so it is unplayable.

The exact error message is:

Starting Battlespire...

Warning: 31M RAM+Swap detected.

Battlespire has detected less than the desired amount of memory
available to the game. The is ost likely due to the DPI memory
setting of your DOS box. Please read the 'patch.txt' file and pay
close attention to the 'Random Crashes' section.

It is also likely that you may be low on disk space. We recommend
that you have at least 40 megabytes of free space on your hard disk
before running Battlespire.

If you decide to continue playing the game, there is a *VERY* good
chance that it *WILL* crash.

Reply 5 of 10, by cinemaholic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the game-specific answers. I am also interested in dosbox more broadly and how dosbox can achieve the same result as in the old user-manual that refers to a dos window in windows 95, as above in the first post. Thanks again.

Reply 6 of 10, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The properties of a Windows DOS command line can not be compared to DOSBox settings in any way. You can think of the DOSBox configuration file as a full PC where you plug in extension cards, memory modules and all that by setting options. It does not share the compatibility problems of DOS in Windows, and that's why the Windows DOS properties do not apply at all.

Reply 7 of 10, by frobme

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cinemaholic wrote:

Thanks for the game-specific answers. I am also interested in dosbox more broadly and how dosbox can achieve the same result as in the old user-manual that refers to a dos window in windows 95, as above in the first post. Thanks again.

The reason Battlespire asked you to run in a DOS window from Win95 was that Win95 shipped with a DPMI manager as part of the product. Basically it just wants DOS mode + DPMI memory.

"Conventional" memory refers to your <640K amount. It wasn't an official designation but an oft-used term in those days.

If you are curious, I successfully run Battlespire with my Dosbox machine memory set to 63MB, EMS + XMS turned off (CPU set to normal or simple). However it's never going to be a great performer regardless of settings; it uses SVGA 16-bit modes, which is a bunch of data to move around per frame, and was a poor performer even back in the day on native hardware.

-frob

Reply 8 of 10, by cinemaholic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, I see. Thanks Moe and frobme. BTW, I have little problem running Battlespire without any dosbox.conf modifications as long as my character is on the first level. But once I enter level 2, the game slows down and becomes unplayable. It's like night and day between the two levels.

Reply 10 of 10, by I4ko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Since the game is VESA I would suggest getting used to QEMU. It is a pc virtualizer/emulator, and in some cases runs better than DOSBOX, but you need a bunch of things like disk images and installing a real os. Not too much work - 30-40 minutes from download to useful state. Also - install dosidle when using qemu. Sound is limited to adlib and sb pro (ot was sb16).

I use it to play exteme assault since it passes mmx to the host cpu (x86).