VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sbwss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks to the excellent help posting on this forum for installing Win 3.1X with DosBox located at the following link:
Windows 3.1x DOSBox Guide

I was able to install Win 3.11 to run with DosBox Ver 0.65 on my Vista Home Premium system with no problems. Performance seems to equate to about a 486 processor environment with the 16 bit Win software that I was testing. Thanks to DosBox, if Vista64 bit does kill 16 bit apps, I know I have an alternative for some legacy 16 bit and Dos apps that I require

Keep up the good work DosBox Team!

Reply 1 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

use the new version of Dosbox and use the dynamic core, it is much faster now.

And I'm glad the guide helped you! 😀
(if there is any step in the guide you would have liked to be more precise or you had to guess what to do, please tell me, fine tuning is hard 😀)

Reply 2 of 14, by sbwss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One of the 16 bit Win programs that I use actually calls a DOS subroutine that does not work correctly with DosBox .70 (Seems to be a keyboard handling thing). I am glad that you kept the DosBox .65 specific instructions.

As for the quide,
one step that I did not understand was how to extract the drivers from my win311 folder to put into the drivers folder.
Also, at first I did not know where the dynamic core setting was so you could include (core=normal) at the end of the next line (like the EMS comment)
- do not use dynamic core
- disable EMS (EMS=false)

Great work on the guide, it made thing painless for me.

Reply 3 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

One of the 16 bit Win programs that I use actually calls a DOS subroutine that does not work correctly with DosBox .70 (Seems to be a keyboard handling thing). I am glad that you kept the DosBox .65 specific instructions.

maybe the devs are interested which program that is, so please tell us its name and what it does.

one step that I did not understand was how to extract the drivers from my win311 folder to put into the drivers folder.

hmm, that is kind of hard since I don't want to go into details on how to extract an archive and move the files where you want them to be. Use Winzip or Winrar or some other (un)archiving program for that.

Also, at first I did not know where the dynamic core setting was so you could include (core=normal) at the end of the next line (like the EMS comment)
- do not use dynamic core
- disable EMS (EMS=false)

ok, will change that right away. Thanks

Great work on the guide, it made thing painless for me.

Thanks, I'm happy to be of help and to make contributions to one of my favourite projects 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 14, by sbwss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I read you on the driver extraction details.

The Dos app (and called dos subroutines) that does not work in DosBox .70 and does work in .65 is a vertical market app witten in Clipperthat calls graphing functions from a linked graphics library. The problem arises in the graphing routines. Any keyboard entry causes repeating screen refreshes.

As the Dos app is not "game" related, I tend to gather from many other posts on this forum that it may not be considered to be important.

I am very appreciative that gaming has been the major driving force in DosBox dev but also feel that DosBox has done a great service to the user community as there are a large number of vertical market apps for Dos and Win 16 bit that are valuable to many. This will be additionally true if Microsoft does drop 16 bit support in Vista 64. Vista 32 seems to do 16 bit just fine and many Dos apps.

Reply 5 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

As the Dos app is not "game" related, I tend to gather from many other posts on this forum that it may not be considered to be important.

You might be right there 😀
(but one never knows sometimes the devs are in a good mood 😀)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Microsoft never dropped support for 16bit in 64bit versions of Windows....they just never included it. (Except for some 16bit installshield installers).

Sometimes the devs will include non-game releated fixes into DosBox but there's nothing stopping you or other people from making patches and integrating them into DosBox CVS and then using them. If that's too hard then the devs (or somebody else) will accept money to create the patch.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, the only way to run 16bit programs in XP/2003/Vista 64bit is by using virtualization/emulation programs.

So any 16bit program wether it's DOS/Windows will not run natively on Windows 64bit.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 14, by sbwss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For what it is worth, just an update on the issue of the Dos app and subroutines running correctly in Vista 32. on 0.65 and not on 0.70

If called from a windows 16 bit app, the dos program or dos subroutine does work correctly using 0.65

If called from a windows 16 bit app, the dos program or dos subroutine do not work correctly 0.70. The dos program, if started stand alone (not called from a win 16 program), does work correctly.

Reply 10 of 14, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm interresting. with the same core ? (and same windows instalation)

It's worth checking out. All that stuff is very subtle and may indicate a small drift from the correct solution from our part.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 11 of 14, by sbwss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes with the same core and Win 3.11 installation. Happens on both my Vista 32 laptop as well as a 98se box. Also when returning to Win311 from the called Dos app the Win 311 video goes haywire. Can see enough to exit Windows 3.11. Calling Dos from Win 3.11 certainly does not have high priority but it is an interesting problem.

I will put together a small zip file to try and demonstrate this behavior. Should I post it here or start a topic in the Applications section?

Reply 13 of 14, by sbwss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have switched between Core Normal and Auto, EMS True and False. I'll mess with cycles a bit.

On the video going haywire mentioned above (not the Dos yes on 0.65 - no on 0.70 issue). My win 3.11 setup is set at standard VGA. If I pull down File, click Run and enter: z:\command Win 3.11 shells out to Dosbox as would be expected but on exit back to Win 3.11 my video goes south. I believe this happens in both 0.65 and 0.70 and on my vista32 laptop as well as a 98 se box.