VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by user222

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is it possible to use ISO's with "boot"? I typed the following and I got "Must specify drive letter to mount image at.". I am using DOSBox 0.70.

This is what I typed:

mount c c:\dos
c:
imgmount -t hdd 2 d:\[filename].img -size 512,63,16,142 -fs none
imgmount -t iso 3 d:\diskimgs\[filename].iso -fs iso
boot d:\[filename].img
Last edited by user222 on 2007-03-21, 15:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 6, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not that it is very useful for games. It would be most useful to install other OSes but DOSBox does not support much in that department yet and probably won't for a while (although Win95 was showing some promise).
Booting from CDs is somewhat of a hack on real hardware. The process essentially piggybacks on booting from floppy. On many BIOSes all calls to floppy are redirected to emulated floppy image on CD after CD boot. I guess it can be implemented this way in DOSBox relatively easily if somebody is motivated enough to do that.

Reply 5 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

booting off isos would be nice, but support for CD-Roms (whetehr real or isos) would be a much nicer first step, when booting an image...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 6, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

El-torito isn't enough, It will require emulation of IDE/ATAPI port to support more than just booting DOS floppy image from cd (as it uses mscdex based drive to access rest of the files on the disk).