VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox and Glide

Topic actions

First post, by Devil Master

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I read some messages saying that DOS Glide games can work under DOSBox with a Glide wrapper, but there were no explanations about how to actually get them working. Can anyone please explain me the procedure?

Reply 1 of 31, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Download yhkwongs CVS build of DosBox from the link in my signature, "DosBox CVS Builds".

Also download the glide.ovl from his site.

Install your DOS Glide game in DosBox.
Copy the .ovl file to the game directory.
Set glide=true in DosBox.conf
Execute DosBox and run the game.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 31, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think what's holding it up is compatibility with linux/osx. Gulikoza is the person who created the patch that is used in yhkwong's build. He'd know what the details are.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 31, by marzsyndrome

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to bump an old topic, but it appears yhkwong's site no longer appears to host a Glide addon for download. I've searched all over the Data section but it's not there. Is it unavailable for a reason? 🙁

Reply 7 of 31, by marzsyndrome

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh hang on, I see what you mean. So it's hidden away inside the virtual Z: drive?

Although looking at the status window, ykhwong's DOSBox appears to be unable to load certain bits of the Glide emulation, so something must not be going right. I wanted to test it out with Blood, y'see, and that's complaining about not being able to "load DLL". Is it talking about glide2x.ovl or glide2x.dll? I don't get it.

Are there any specific instructions I should follow in getting Glide emulation working? I've already set "glide=true" in dosbox.conf.

Reply 9 of 31, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you see the error inside dosbox, then it's the game complaining about the ovl.
Those messages in status window are just warnings. Dosbox glide tries to load complete glide, but some functions might not be supported by the particular wrapper. If you don't see any 'Invalid function pointer for call...' errors then the game might not even use them. Try Blood from Glidos page...I got that one working...

edit: it might not need to be copied if path is set to z: 😉

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 11 of 31, by marzsyndrome

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah ok - I've already tried Blood under Glidos and that works well - although after just recently discovering that DOSBox (or at least ykhwong's build) could do Glide too, I wanted to see what that was like. If it helps, this is the error that Blood comes out with (even after copying glide2x.ovl to its directory)....

Using setup file: BLOOD.CFG

If you get a "Fatal Error", you need to download the Glide drivers from http://www.3dfx.com.

Fatal Error: unable to load DLL.

Reply 12 of 31, by marzsyndrome

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gulikoza wrote:

Try Blood from Glidos page...I got that one working...

Thinking about it though, if you mean "try the version of Blood included on the Glidos site", then that is the version I'm using atm.

Reply 14 of 31, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
marzsyndrome wrote:
gulikoza wrote:

Try Blood from Glidos page...I got that one working...

Thinking about it though, if you mean "try the version of Blood included on the Glidos site", then that is the version I'm using atm.

instead of using the modified and warez copy from that site why not just use the official 3dfx patch available from the monolith ftp?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 17 of 31, by qsonic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am having difficulties getting Glide support to do anything meaningful with the newer builds from ykhwong.
DOSBox 0.70 (04/10/2007) still works best for me, despite some features and fixes that DOSBox itself is lacking in that version. Later versions of his build tend to crash whenever I attempt to use Glide emulation (even if it is just the 3dfx SPLASH.EXE).
That is the main reason I was asking for the patch to be released seperately, as ykhwong's builds contain lots of other patches that might interfere (?), so I would like to try patching the clean CVS sources.

Reply 18 of 31, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ah...memsize=63 should do the trick 😀

some additional info: change memsize in the .conf file, typing it in the prompt does not work. Also use dgvoodoo wrapper, the game seems to crash with openglide.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 19 of 31, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

err, I believe the copy on the GliDOS site is the shareware version of Blood.

Nope. It's the "One Unit Whole Blood" bundle with Plasma Pak and Cryptic Passage, modified to promote a shareware product.

Its a shame, because the game is certainly available legally

apsosig.png
long live PCem