VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by cajuncody

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to install and run DOXBOX along with Redneck rampage for my husband. It was his favorite game until we went to XP. I just now heard about DOSBOX so I would like to install it. So far I am having no luck. I have it installed but when I try to enter it it says and error occured and it needs to close. I need help. I also need very simple instructions as I am no good in DOS. In fact, anyone from Knoxville TN want to install it for me? 😉
I can use windows fairly well but missed DOS by a few years. Any help would be appreciated. I will submit any information you need to help me with my problem. Thanks!
Kristi

If I am asking for help, I really need help 😉

Reply 1 of 19, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Look at some guides like 60 seconds guide to getting your game to run in DOSBox

If some step doesn't work or something is unclear post here.
Basically you need to mount some drive where the installation
files are found, one empty directory as C (where the game will
be installed to).
Be sure to install the game within dosbox, and try it with sound
disabled first if it asks for sound settings.

Reply 2 of 19, by cajuncody

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you so much for that guide. I will be using it to install my games.
However, I am stuck at :
3. Start DOSBox.
When i start DOXBox I get the error message that the probram encountered a problem and needs to close.

Any suggestions to get me past that?
Thanks again.
Kristi

Reply 3 of 19, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
cajuncody wrote:

When i start DOXBox I get the error message that the probram encountered a problem and needs to close.

Hmm... That should never happen.

Could you try to start DOSBox from the command line? Do a Start => Run... => cmd

and from the command prompt do a

chdir %ProgramFiles%\dosbox-0.70
dosbox.exe -noconsole

After DOSBox has crashed/closed, check for 2 files in the dosbox-0.70 directory: stdout.txt and stderr.txt.

What do they contain?

Can also try (not recommended, but it will give us a clue as to what is wrong) to do a

set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=windib
dosbox.exe

and see if DOSBox will run with that setting.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 19, by cajuncody

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The DOXBox folder is in Progam Files but when I type that in I get "The system cannot find the path specified." Of course I also got "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect." but I went back and put in a space before %ProgramFiles%.
Dos is confusing.
Kristi

Reply 5 of 19, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

And?

Reply 6 of 19, by cajuncody

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, I guess I should have added that I received the syntax error first, added the space to fix that then I received the pathway error. My DOSBox is in the program files folder so I don't know why the pathway error occured.
Is that about as clear as mud?

Reply 7 of 19, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Hmm. Try adding some quotes:

chdir "%ProgramFiles%\dosbox-0.70"

Or are you missing the space between dosbox.exe and -noconsole?

dosbox.exe <space> -noconsole

Reply 8 of 19, by cajuncody

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OMG!! I actually have a dosbox open! Now I just have to keep it open. I will post back, hopefully with a success story, soon.
K

Reply 9 of 19, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

And which commands did you use to start it? With or without the set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=windib ?

Reply 10 of 19, by cajuncody

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all, I would l ike to say just how much I appreciate all of your help.
Now, I have a dosbox open but am not having much luck at mounting my drives. Dosbox is saved in Program files on my C drive. I created a folder in my documents called DOSBox Stuff with a folder in it called MyGames
My DVDROM drive is E.
Do I need to move folders or am I just typing something in wrong. The game is at C:\INTERPLAY\REDNECK.
Thanks again
K

Reply 11 of 19, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Now it is my turn to be a PITA, and say that I won't answer your questions until you have answered mine:

MiniMax wrote:

And which commands did you use to start it? With or without the set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=windib ?

MiniMax wrote:

After DOSBox has crashed/closed, check for 2 files in the dosbox-0.70 directory: stdout.txt and stderr.txt.

What do they contain?

Reply 12 of 19, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would suggest using a frontend like D.O.G. or DBGL, if your a newby to the whole DOSBox experiance. These are programs that provide a graphical interface for running games in DOSBox.

If using D.O.G. then just download, extract the package, run DOG and configure the DOSBox version you have. Then create a profile for your game and you're off to play the game by doing a doubleclick on the profile.

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 13 of 19, by cajuncody

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, I missed that post. I u sed the set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=windib I managed to start the game but without sound. Now it is gone and my brief moment of victory has gone with it. My computer locked up and it is currently off. I am using my laptop to correspond with you.
How do I find the directory to get the info from there for you?
Sad thing is, most people come to me with their computer problems. Dos has just shown me how little I actually know. 😁

Reply 14 of 19, by cajuncody

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Could you give me more info on DOG? Where to find it, how it works and step by step instructions for me?
Thanks again
Kristi

Reply 15 of 19, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
cajuncody wrote:

Sorry, I missed that post. I u sed the set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=windib I managed to start the game but without sound. Now it is gone and my brief moment of victory has gone with it.

You have problem with your graphics drivers on that PC. That is why the SDL_VIDEODRIVER=windib is needed every time you start DOSBox, to force it to use the graphics drivers in a non-default (and slower) mode.

I had hoped that the stderr.txt or stdout.txt files would tell me something about the problem.

How do I find the directory to get the info from there for you?

The 2 files should be in your C:\Programs\dosbox-0.70 folder.

Now you have 2 options:

1) Continue to use the SDL_VIDEODRIVER=windib work-around (and good luck to ErikGG to explain to you how to do that from DOG), or

2) Solve whatever problem that DOSBox has with your graphics driver.

Ad 1) You can create a little CMD-file to start DOSBox (start Notepad, write the chdir ..., set SDL_..... and dosbox.exe lines, and save the file as MyDOSBox.cmd on the desktop). Double-click on MyDOSBox, and DOSBox will start with the windib setting.

Ad 2) You probably need to update the graphics driver.

Reply 16 of 19, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
cajuncody wrote:
First of all, I would l ike to say just how much I appreciate all of your help. Now, I have a dosbox open but am not having muc […]
Show full quote

First of all, I would l ike to say just how much I appreciate all of your help.
Now, I have a dosbox open but am not having much luck at mounting my drives. Dosbox is saved in Program files on my C drive. I created a folder in my documents called DOSBox Stuff with a folder in it called MyGames
My DVDROM drive is E.
Do I need to move folders or am I just typing something in wrong. The game is at C:\INTERPLAY\REDNECK.
Thanks again
K

Again, 2 options:

1) Re-install the game from inside DOSBox (once you get it running again). This is what I would do.

2) Try to take a short-cut and move the INTERPLAY folder into your MyGames folder so you get My Documents\DOSBox Stuff\MyGames\INTERPLAY\REDNECK.

In either case you probably need to mount ("create") a C and D drive inside DOSBox:

Z:\>mount C "C:\Documents and Settings\your-login-name\My Documents\DOSBox Stuff\MyGames"
Z:\>mount D "E:" -t cdrom

Reply 17 of 19, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

D.O.G. is available at http://www.freewebs.com/erikgg or just google "D.O.G. DosBox".

Well I'm not much a manual creating type man as you'll see in the online manual present on my site (only the main screen explained) but I'll do my best to guide you through.

D.O.G. enables you to use whatever official DOSbox version you want to use.
When starting D.O.G. 1.53 for the first time it will detect that there are no DOSBox's configured and so gives you a quick reminder that you need to configure one. When adding a DOSBox to its configuration, D.O.G. will detect the version you are using. Clicking OK will add the DOSbox version to the configuration.

To start DOSBox with D.O.G., do the following :
1. Start D.O.G.
2. Configure the DOSBox you have when promped to do so. When starting.
This is very easy to do so, just browse to the DosBox.exe, select and let D.O.G. detect the version and fill in the rest.
3. Then D.O.G. will open up.
4. Click in the menu profile->Add Profile.
5. Then give it a name and select the exe to start. The setup exe isn't a mandatory field. D.O.G. will automatically fill in the capture and the conf file paths. If not filled in D.O.G. will complain about that when clicking ok. If so, then just click inside the editbox and D.O.G. will fill in the paths when it has the right information from you, like the profilename and the exe, if it doesn't fill in the paths then you can always browse or fill them in yourself.
6. Normally within D.O.G. it isn't nesscarry to mount any drives as D.O.G. will detect the misconfiguration and tries to fix it. But remember this crashes some games as they require a certain path to be present in DOSBox (their installation path).
7. If you need to mount a drive then go to the drives->drives tab and click add harddrive. Then select the directory you want to become a harddrive. Then select the DOSbox drive that represents the directory in DOSbox. Then OK, the drive should be visible in the list.
8. Then OK for the Profile Manager.
9. The profile should be visible in the Profile List on the main window.
10. Double click to start the game.

Also, with D.O.G. you don't need to worry about the DOS 8:3 rule as D.O.G. converts the Windows long path to a DOSBox short path.

D.O.G. also enables you to use itself on removeable drives like USB sticks, therefor the paths <DOGDrive> and <DOGHome> are available :
<DOGHome> : the directory in wich D.O.G. is placed.
<DOGDrive> : the parent directory of the D.O.G. directory.
These paths are filled in / replaced by the correct paths for your drives. This is done for all paths inside D.O.G. so when you see such paths pop up after you selected a file/directory then you know what D.O.G. is doing.

You can do a right click on a profile to view the conf file (the file configuring DOSbox). In the Autoexec section are the DOS commands being used to start your game.

When running games and DOSBox closes on you before you can see anything, then edit your profile and goto the tab : DOSBox->Console and unselect the Exit DOSBox when program terminates. DOSBox closes because maybe something in the game went wrong. An error message or something should appear.

When you are using DOSBox 0.63 and DOSBox crashes on you for no reason "the windib trick", then select the option Apply "cannot create rendering" error fix in the tab Screen->Screen Settings.
With DOSBox 0.65 and up this option is not available as DOSBox does it for you. The thing D.O.G. does do is erase the SDL_VIDEODRIVER variable for these versions, as this does slowdown and sometimes crashes DOSBox.

These are the basic functions of D.O.G., but it doesn't stop there as D.O.G. also allows you to categorize your profiles, allows you to optimize processes before starting DOSBox, convert screenshot captures and sound captures to JPG and MP3. And so on and on.

If you still experiance problems with DOSBox it is best to make screenshots and attach them to the posts.

Have fun,

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 18 of 19, by cajuncody

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am still having problems with this. I do not know how to fill in the info on DOG. I have tried what I thought was correct but it did not work. I will get some screen shots and post them tomorrow.
Kristi