VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by nokom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay I am playing THE ELDER SCROLLS ARENA on Dosbox. Well, it has no sound. I have it set to sound blaster which is what I thought I had... And worst of all, if I try to enlarge the screen to full screen, everything turns greenish. I am a bit of a tech idiot, so could someone please help 😜?

Reply 2 of 9, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dosbos has the default setting of Sound Blaster set to use irq 7, so you should check this out to see if your config file is ok. Now I really don't know about the full screen issue. Perhaps reducing frameskips should do it.

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 6 of 9, by mirrorshades

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's a link to getting Arena running on DOSBox, courtesy the UESP Wiki:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Arena:Running_Under_DosBox

Arena should run fine in DOSBox, you shouldn't have to do much tweaking. If this guide isn't much help, I can post my working .conf file for Arena.

Reply 7 of 9, by mirrorshades

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Eh, what the heck. I'll go ahead and post it now.

You might need to run the INSTALL.EXE program to configure your sound settings if the defaults don't match what's in the file. (Or, adjust the file to match the defaults.)

Attachments

• Filename
    arena.conf
    File size
    1.69 KiB
    Downloads
    150 downloads
    File comment
    DOSBox 0.65 .conf file for Arena
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 9, by mirrorshades

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In the directory where you have DOSBox installed, there should be a file named dosbox.conf. Rename that file to dosbox.conf.original (or something else that you'll remember). Then, copy this file into that directory and rename it to dosbox.conf.

If you then open this file in a text editor (Notepad), scroll down to the bottom where you'll find the "autoexec" section. On the first line, replace "d:\oldgames\" with the directory that you have your \ARENA directory saved in. In other words, if you have your Arena files saved in C:\Program Files\dosbox\games\RPG\ARENA, then you will want to replace the "d:\oldgames\" with "C:\Program Files\dosbox\games\RPG\". (For example.)

Note that by doing this, whenever you run DOSBox, it will automatically start ARENA.BAT. If you want to play other games as well, revert back to your original dosbox.conf file. Or, you could download one of the front-end programs... that will give you a bit more intuitive point-and-click interface. (I recommend DBGL, but most of them are pretty good.)