VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Elamaton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OMGWTFBBQ 😲

I registered here just to get this one out.

For years now, I've kept an old Pentium machine in the closet to be whipped out for evenings of Liero carnage with the guys. For equally many years, I've wished that DOSBox supported sound in Liero so that it would truly be preserved for a virtual eternity.

That day is TODAY. Version 0.7.0 did the trick. The ChangeLog mentioned something about adding support for rare SB modes, so that must be it.

My setup: iMac Core Duo 20"; SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 T6

The game is still dog slow, but I haven't even begun trying to optimize it, or try frameskip or increasing CPU cycles or whatnot. And that's beside the point; hardware will continue to get faster, so any problems will be resolved in the future.

Now, devs, try not to break things in future releases 😉

Reply 1 of 4, by Elamaton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Correction on the "dog slow": increased CPU cycles to 30 000 (takes about 50% CPU on my Core Duo Mac, which is just fine; half of one core) and the game works smooth as silk. Something less than that might work too, dunno; I'll have to test it out with some friends later.

So: sounds perfect, runs perfect.

How could this day get any better?

Reply 2 of 4, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

How could this day get any better?

Isn't there soccer this evening? This might have positive or negative
impact on the day-rating...

Think what might have fixed it were some timing updates, but didn't
follow this game's sound behaviour, when i last tested it it was silent
(some time ago though). Nice it works fine now!

Reply 3 of 4, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Elamaton wrote:

increased CPU cycles to 30 000 (takes about 50% CPU on my Core Duo Mac, which is just fine; half of one core) and the game works smooth as silk

I think, I've to increase the cycles option in my MacOS X frontend... 😐

Klimawandel.