VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Brausepaul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I mainly use Dosbox for running outdated games on my laptop (1,6 Pentium M, 1 GB RAM), one of the games being Silent Hunter 1. Overall the performance is okay, especially since new 0.70 version. I could make use of even more performance, though, because some games won't run with full time acceleration. Now I was thinking of making my very own dosbox compilation using MS Visual Studio Express utilizing a few optimizing compiler switches (like using CPU instructions for Intel CPUs). Well, I'm not to used to compiling C++ anymore, even less to compiler switches. But before I give it a try: has anybody done something similar for a a machine like mine? Does it make any sense for Pentium Ms?

Reply 1 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doesn't make any sense for any x86 processor as far as I know. People have down benchmarks "optimizing" DosBox by using switches but it doesn't make much if any difference.

Get a faster processor.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 3, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I have the same cpu that you have (pentium m centrino, 1.6 GHZ). For me, the performance is alright, even "blood" and "grand prix 2" running at playable speeds.

Which games actually give you performance problems?

Visit the end of the internet: www.groskreutz.de

Reply 3 of 3, by Brausepaul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I'm thinking of Silent Hunter 1. The game itself is running very well, it's just that the time acceleration function can be maxed at 2048 only (4096 is generally the maximum, I believe). With 2048 transit times become very long when travelling through the Pacific.