VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tharkun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I just took out Crusader: No Regret and wanted to play it once more. I installed DOSBox in Windows and everything worked fine. Now I was trying to run it on linux and I can't get it to run. The only question is: Why does it not work in linux but does so in windows 😀 It can't be a problem of the game or can it? Also this is not truly specific to No Regret. No Remorse has the same problem and I guess some other games I do not even know about might have the same problem. If this seems too game specific, please move the thread, but I think it might be a more general problem.

I am running Ubuntu feisty. First I installed the normal ubuntu package (0.65). The game works but it is too slow, so I compiled 0.70 from source and tried that. Unfortunately, when I run the game, nothing happens. Even if I run the installer, nothing happens.

The DOSBox debugger says:

8478958: EXEC:Execute regret.EXE 0 8478958: FILES:file open command 0 file regret.EXE 8491618: FILES:file open command 0 f […]
Show full quote

8478958: EXEC:Execute regret.EXE 0
8478958: FILES:file open command 0 file regret.EXE
8491618: FILES:file open command 0 file 386MAX$$
8491786: FILES:file open command 0 file EMMXXXX0
8491882: IOCTL:07:Fakes output status is ready for handle 3
8492164: DOSMISC:DOS:Multiplex Unhandled call 1687
8497450: BIOS:INT15:Unknown call 2403
8500876: KEYBOARD:Port 64 write with val 255
8500916: KEYBOARD:Port 64 write with val 255
8501874: BIOS:INT15:Function 0x88 Remaining 0000 kb
8505518: FILES:file open command 0 file C:\REGRET\REGRET.EXE
8507848: FILES:file open command 0 file C:\REGRET\REGRET.EXE
8507974: FILES:file open command 0 file C:\REGRET\REGRET.EXE
8508308: FILES:file open command 0 file C:\REGRET\REGRET.EXE
8510243: VGAMISC:Parts left: 1

Now the debugger continues to show the "VGAMISC: Parts left: 1" until eternity.

I tried without a config file, with the same config file I was using in windows and even tried disabling sound or using all the different output methods. Disabling umb/xms/ems did not help either. Nothing worked so far. Unfortunately the README file has not been very helpful either.

Does anyone have a clue what is going on here? As already stated, the game works fine in DOSBox 0.70 on windows, just not in DOSBox 0.70 on Linux.

Reply 1 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If this is with the CD-Rom mounted try to image the CD and mount the iso. Might help.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 10, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Works for me.
Videos are a bit slow, but that could just be my computer. Game is slightly slow, but not as noticeable.
Seem to notice a few strange characters on the screen for a fraction of a second. Don't know why.

Perhaps you could try playing around with the output options in dosbox.conf?

Reply 4 of 10, by tharkun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I already tried all the different output methods (except for ddraw of course 😀) but none works. What does your config look like? Do you run ubuntu too? What version of SDL are you using? Maybe I just compiled it the wrong way or some dep is strange on my system...

Also I was hoping that someone could comment on the

8492164: DOSMISC:DOS:Multiplex Unhandled call 1687
8497450: BIOS:INT15:Unknown call 2403

part. Seems strange but maybe thats normal and has nothing to do with the problem.

Reply 5 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
 8510243: VGAMISC:Parts left: 1 

that is the bad part for you. (especially as it's repeating. (this means that the screen won't be updated while it is repeating))

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 10, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have about the same config as got automatically generated. The only changes I remember were to change the core from auto to a number, the ems to false for some game or another, and the cdrom options for mounting.
None of which I think helps at all.

Here are some of the lines from my config
-------------------
[sdl]
# fullscreen -- Start dosbox directly in fullscreen.
# fulldouble -- Use double buffering in fullscreen.
# fullresolution -- What resolution to use for fullscreen: original or fixed size (e.g. 1024x768).
# windowresolution -- Scale the window to this size IF the output device supports hardware scaling.
# output -- What to use for output: surface,overlay,opengl,openglnb.
# autolock -- Mouse will automatically lock, if you click on the screen.
# sensitiviy -- Mouse sensitivity.
# waitonerror -- Wait before closing the console if dosbox has an error.
# priority -- Priority levels for dosbox: lowest,lower,normal,higher,highest,pause (when not focussed).
# Second entry behind the comma is for when dosbox is not focused/minimized.
# mapperfile -- File used to load/save the key/event mappings from.
# usescancodes -- Avoid usage of symkeys, might not work on all operating systems.

fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
output=surface
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt
usescancodes=true

[dosbox]
# language -- Select another language file.
# memsize -- Amount of memory dosbox has in megabytes.
# machine -- The type of machine tries to emulate:hercules,cga,tandy,pcjr,vga.
# captures -- Directory where things like wave,midi,screenshot get captured.

language=
machine=vga
captures=capture
memsize=16

[render]
# frameskip -- How many frames dosbox skips before drawing one.
# aspect -- Do aspect correction, if your output method doesn't support scaling this can slow things down!.
# scaler -- Scaler used to enlarge/enhance low resolution modes.
# Supported are none,normal2x,normal3x,advmame2x,advmame3x,hq2x,hq3x,
# 2xsai,super2xsai,supereagle,advinterp2x,advinterp3x,
# tv2x,tv3x,rgb2x,rgb3x,scan2x,scan3x.

frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x
------
In looking at the dosbox section I noticed a line machine=vga, perhaps that might help?

Not running Ubuntu. RedHat 9 as one install but I can try it on Fedora Core 3 to see if anything is different.
Don't know how Ubuntu handles packages, but these are the ones I have on this install.
SDL_net-1.2.4-5
SDL_image-1.2.2-5
SDL_mixer-1.2.4-7
SDL_mixer-devel-1.2.4-7
SDL_image-devel-1.2.2-5
SDL-1.2.5-3
SDL_net-devel-1.2.4-5
SDL-devel-1.2.5-3
No doubt some packages have changed, been merged, or split, especially for Ubuntu. Also don't know whether Ubuntu needs the -devel packages for compiling.

I do wonder if there might have been problems with compiling. Most times it stops upon problems, but sometimes it doesn't.
If possible I would suggest trying to get a package for 0.70 or else see if you could find a precompiled binary.

Reply 7 of 10, by tharkun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also have machine=vga set, but I even tried machine=hercules. To no avail.

Unfortunately there are no packages for ubuntu and version 0.70 but what I did was getting the source package for 0.65 and changing the version numbers to 0.70. I even tried to reapply the debian patches to 0.70 and saw that most of the 0.65 debian patches had already been applied to 0.70 upstream.

What kind of compile problems are you speaking of? If you tell me more I am more than willing to have a look at the compile step again. I just want to be able to use Linux to play 😀

@Qbix: Well yeah the screen is not updating, thats right 😀 Do you have any idea why? Or can tell me what to look for to debug this problem? I'd be happy to help. Unfortunately I do not know much about x86 assembler and even less about the internals of the vga graphics. What bothers me is that it just works in 0.65/Linux as well as in windows.

Reply 9 of 10, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know what or even if there was a problem.
Quite a few times I get error messages when I compile programs. Most are harmless or for something I don't use.
Most serious problems stop the compiling. But sometimes it keeps going even though there is a problem.
The problem is that they go by so fast it's hard to tell. And are hard to tell from the harmless ones. And unless I try to keep a copy, once they're gone, they're gone.

You could try looking at the config.log in the directory where you compiled. I'm not the best person to ask, but it wouldn't hurt to look for things like
"conftest.c: XX:XX: XXXXXXXXX: No such file or directory"
or "/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXXXXXXXX"
Those could indicate missing files or packages. Some might be unrelated or not a problem. Could also be that they are not at the place where dosbox looks for compiling.

There is a precompiled Linux binary at the thread "Please provide Linux x86 binaries".
Unfortunately it is for openSUSE. Which means it could need libraries not on your system. It might not hurt to try.

Reply 10 of 10, by tharkun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

-noconsole does not do anything (obviously, because the readme file says this: -noconsole (Windows Only) 😀)

The opensuse binary from that thread you mentioned does start on my ubuntu, but I have the same problem. My SDL version is 1.2.11.

Now comes the funny thing: My laptop runs ubuntu feisty and that is where I want to play the games. My server/TV runs ubuntu edgy and on edgy everything runs fine with my self-compiled binary. (Just copied everything from the laptop to the TV). No problems at all. So I guess it is a problem with one of the libraries in feisty.