VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by oblivious

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been at it all day trying to get dosbox running so I can play Dark Sun. NOTE: THE PROBLEM IS NOT WITH DARKSUN, BUT WITH DOSBOX

When I ran dosbox .70 I got this in the status window:
"Config: loading primary settings from config file dosbox.conf"

And then I got the standard XP "encountered a problem" error message and it crashes.

Nothing I've done has gotten dosbox to work. I loaded .65 and .63 and they work, but they won't run Dark Sun. Every time I try to run Dark Sun it immediately crashes back to the dosbox command line and I get an "Illegal command: mode" message. I don't know if this is a problem with the dosboxes or with Dark Sun.

I'm sorry if i'm being just another annoying noob with a regular problem, or if I missed something obvious, but I've been looking all day and I can't find anything that addresses this.

HELP! :_(

PS:
The Dark Sun intro works perfectly fine when I run it without Dosbox, but it dies at the end of the intro and tells me I don't have enough ram. I've got 2gigs, so I doubt it.

Reply 1 of 3, by boyofdestiny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok I just tried Dark Sun under DOSBox 0.70. Loads fine, seems to play fine.

darksunsw0.th.jpg
darksun2gg3.th.jpg

I'm running it under Ubuntu Linux 7.04...
DOSBox under XP shouldn't be any different...
But I can't really help troubleshoot other than I know the game does run under this version of DOSBox...

Maybe it's your copy?

EDIT: Good news! I think this guy had the same issue under XP, and posted a solution.

dosbox.exe failure - won't load

Hope that's it.

Reply 3 of 3, by boyofdestiny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm I'm not sure...

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php? … sbox.conf%2Fsdl

You can try changing the output dosbox uses by default (in dosbox.conf), try surface or overlay.

Maybe the win32 release the default output is ddraw?