VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Quizzie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I read the instructions. I swear it. Yet everytime I press ctrl-alt F5 to record a dosbox video, the same result: 'Can't open dir capture for capturing video'. Yes, there is definitely a directory named 'capture' in my Doxbox folder. And for good measure, I even tried adding a few extra blank 'capture' directories to other related folders-- in the general windows filepath, the folder of the game I was trying to capture, etc. None of them worked. 'Can't open dir capture for capturing video'. >.< Well? What's wrong here? Why can't Dosbox find the capture directory when it's right where it's supposed to be? It's true my copy of Dosbox isn't installed in the default program files path-- but, I thought of that, too, and even tried putting a 'capture' directory in the same filepath Dosbox's install tries to use. Still no success.
Anyone have any ideas?
😒

Reply 1 of 10, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you perhaps running Vista? Is the "capture" directory actually writable to the program? (Try running DOSBox with administrator rights).

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 3 of 10, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The directory should simply be in the DOSBox folder itself (try emptying it if it's not empty). And you may want to upgrade to DOSBox 0.70 just to rule out any bugs in the old version.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 4 of 10, by Quizzie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The directory 'capture' was, and is, in the dosbox folder and empty. And I've just upgraded to Dosbox 0.70, with exactly the same results. 'Can't open dir capture for capturing video' This time, I even let 0.70 install into Dosbox's default installation, in case it being in another path was somehow to blame. No luck. This is very odd...

Reply 5 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

What is your current/working directory when starting DOSBox?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 10, by Quizzie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I like to keep things simple, so, Dosbox is in a directory simply titled 'Dosbox', directly off the C drive (path C:\Dosbox). Though as mentioned, I did try the new install for 0.70 in the default directory as well (C:\Program Files\etc.). Neither location will open the capture folder, which is always in the Dosbox directory, right where the install puts it.

Reply 7 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

one more shot, how do you start Dosbox? If you drag'n'drop a game exe on the dosbox link, the directory of the game becomes the directory where dosbox wants to have a capture dir.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 10, by Quizzie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Weeeelll... as stated in the first post, I -did- try putting a 'capture' folder into the game directory as well, just to see if it was looking there-- didn't work. But you made me think of trying to manually mount the folder without drag'n'drop-- and lo, it -did- record! So, while that solves the problem of making a video, it doesn't explain why DosBox can't find the 'capture' folder anywhere when drag'n'drop is used to mount the game. Very strange. Well, so long as it works, I can manually type the mounting. Thanks!

Reply 9 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I did kind of overlook that you wrote that. Sorry, but at least I got you onto the right track 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I asked:

MiniMax wrote:

What is your current/working directory when starting DOSBox?

Quizzie wrote:

I like to keep things simple, so, Dosbox is in a directory simply titled 'Dosbox', directly off the C drive (path C:\Dosbox). Though as mentioned, I did try the new install for 0.70 in the default directory as well (C:\Program Files\etc.). Neither location will open the capture folder, which is always in the Dosbox directory, right where the install puts it.

And exactly how does your answer relate to my question?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions