VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by cabinboy46

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm playing Crusader: No Remorse and noticed during the FMV scenes a slight delay or out of synch audio when characters speak. I'm using DosBOX 0.70. Is this normal? Is there a remedy? Running on an Athlon XP 2200 with ATI 9800 Pro video. It's tolerable but it would still be nice if the audio ran a bit smoother. I'm using the DBGL frontend and really like it and prefer it over D-End, and have all my games nicely configured and DOSBox behaves beautifully with almost everything I've tried, though Skynet crashes at the first mission load screen. What a wondrous program DOSBox is.

C.

Last edited by cabinboy46 on 2007-04-30, 12:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 17, by LORD_DrDeathhand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Lads,

Hey I have the same audio problem in Crusader no Remorse, everything runs just fine in the game, the audio to, except with the movies in the game, there the audio doesnt run in sync with what the people are saying. I read the last post on this but I dont know what the dude who wrote it means with it. So, Il post the config file of dosbox so that you can see what I might have done wrong, oww yea, I am using the latest version of dosbox version V070

Greetingss from LORD_DrDeathhand

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox.conf
    File size
    6.7 KiB
    Downloads
    159 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 17, by LORD_DrDeathhand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How do I mount my drives,

Ok, well the crusader cd is on my N:\ drive, in folder n:\crusadercdnrm
my crusader installation is on my G:\ drive in folder g:\crusader

and the mounting goes like this

mount y n:\crusadercdnrm -t cdrom

mount g g:\crusader

thats how I mount the drives then I do the following

g: and then crusader that starts the game.

and just for the info, crusader is the only game with this problem, all other games run just fine, nou wrong audio sync stuff, soo blaming it on the many harddisk partitions is not the answer.

GReetingss from LORD_DrDeathhand

Reply 9 of 17, by LORD_DrDeathhand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry mate,

I have checked the readme, tried to do whats in there with the ioctl command, but no go, I cant get it to work. If you check my previous post where I write down how I mount my drive and stuff, can you like looking at that give me an example how I should use the -ioctl command??

Thanks

Reply 10 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Ok, well the crusader cd is on my N:\ drive, in folder n:\crusadercdnrm
mount y n:\crusadercdnrm -t cdrom

Uhm, could you explain this a bit more? The way I see it you are mounting a hard drive folder as CD-Rom and you wonder why it is out of sync?
Either mount the real CD-Rom or make an iso (better a bin/cue) and mount that image as CD-Rom and when that doesn't work report back.
Also, kind of OT, use only c and d for your hard drive and CD-Rom drive in Dosbox. In your case it would be:
mount d n:\crusadercdnrm -t cdrom
mount c g:\crusader

Reason for this is that this is what old games expect to find and it *could* cause you problems with other games.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 17, by LORD_DrDeathhand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear Dominus

Allrighty il explain.

I am indeed mounting a harddrive folder as a cdrom, I copied the entire cd from crusader to my hdd on drive N:\CrusaderCDnrm after mounting it the normal way , well like I showed you, crusader runs perfectly except on the audio part.

And why can I only use C or D for harddrive and cdrom drive?? what difference does it make??

Reply 12 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I am indeed mounting a harddrive folder as a cdrom, I copied the entire cd from crusader to my hdd on drive N:\CrusaderCDnrm after mounting it the normal way , well like I showed you, crusader runs perfectly except on the audio part.

Then do as I say and make bin/cue image of the CD-Rom and use that instead. The image uses only slightly more space than copying the content to the hard drive. That's what I do with Crusader and it seems to work ok. BUT Crusader is very picky when showing the videos, you need to balance the cycles correctly for the game, max is a definite show stopper for me, you need to manually tune it down. Or try setting the video size in Crusader to small.

And why can I only use C or D for harddrive and cdrom drive?? what difference does it make??

I already wrote why. Games and dos application might expect it like this. The main drive on C: and the CD-Rom drive at D: (just keep in mind that you don't have to change anything in your Windows, just the mounting should be corrected). Of course you CAN use different drive letters, I'm only saying it might give you problems with other games or applications.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 13 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It can make all the difference if the person who programmed the game only expected to locate the HD and the CDROM at the usual location. Most people back when MS-DOS was popular only had one or two floppy drive, 1 or two hard drive, and one or two cdroms.

The avg was:
1 floppy
1 HD
1 CDROM.

In the business world there may have been a higher drive letter for Novell but that's business.

Therefore alot of games freak out (yes even Windows games), if you don't use lower drive letters like D: or E: or some other lower letter for the cdrom.

As for the HD, why would you want to use anything other than "C:" in an emulator? To make things more difficult for yourself and others?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 14 of 17, by LORD_DrDeathhand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hehe,

Dear Dosfreak 😀 thanks for your responce, why would I want to make things more difficult?? 🤣 well its not difficult for me because I have been using the G drive as my game drive for years years now, 😀 sooo thats why its not difficult for me 😀

But thanks for the info!

GReetss from LORD_DrDeathhand

Reply 15 of 17, by LORD_DrDeathhand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear Dominus,

Hey thanks for the CPU info, soooo what do you or did you use for your cycles??? I indeed have it on max cause that runs almost all games like they should, and well crusader runs completely fine with those settings but again except for the movies 😀 And I think il indeed change the vid size to small, that will make the movies nicer to.

I wonder if Crusader no regret will have the same video problems. Il inform you about that when I have finished playing crusader no remorse
And that will be soon 😀

GReetings from LORD_DrDeathhand

Reply 16 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

For me the video with large work fine at cycles=17500 but that is just true for my system (P4 2,66 GHz), for your system it could be a much different cycle setting. Best just test it with the cycle changing hotkeys Ctrl+F11 and Ctrl+F12.
I expect both Regret and Remorse to behave the same since they use very much the same engine. Origin didn'T change much between these two versions.

Reply 17 of 17, by LORD_DrDeathhand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gazooks dudes!!!!

🤣 I made a BOOBOO!! Pffffff I totally forgot to apply patch 1.21 for Crusader and to apply the audio patch made for it back then. 😳 Ages ago 😳 pfff the game always runned so well that I never ever thought about finding a patch for this old puppy.

After installing the patch and audio thingy, I could run the game just fine with all the settings I have showed you with the audio running nicely in sync.

Sooo thanks again guys 😀 and this just shows you, you can use alot of strange settings 😀 and stuff still works 😀 but shite never forget a patch because they RULE!!!