VOGONS

Common searches

idea

Topic actions

First post, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What if dosbox was released for amiga. You would not have to mod the amiga at all and it would be a good idea as amiga is still fairly popular. It would allow people to play dos games with their amiga and amiga has cd drive and floppy drive. A later amiga could handle something like dosbox. You would just need to make a dosbox compatiable with amiga. Their is dosbox for os/2 but not amiga. I have never used an amiga but it would still be good idea to make dosbox for amiga.

Reply 1 of 29, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think most Amiga computers don't have enough processing power to run latest ms-dos games (386 protected mode). Correct me if I am wrong.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 29, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/knights-m … chants/techinfo

It shows you the minimum requirements for some random game. If you look at the minimum requirements you would need at least 600 mhz of speed. That proves that their are amiga computers fast enough. I just looked through some amiga specs and to run a 486 protected mode game you would not at least an the amiga ppc.

Edit i have been looking up the amiga and i found outThe amiga used almost no memory and a new amiga can run nicely with just 2mb's left!

An amiga 1200 might work.

Reply 3 of 29, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No way would it work. The A1200's Motoral MC68020 CPU operated at, wait for it, a grand speed of 14mhz! The PPC Amigas were not true Amiga machines and they emulated the MC68xK processors (and other chipsets like the Fat AGNUS) to run original Amiga software, moreover they were crap. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Reply 4 of 29, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why not making DOSBox available to the Apple IIGS? 😵
(see the picture to the left where I'm housed)

That's my machine for a long time, based on WDC65816 CPU at 2.8 MHz, accelerated up to 7 or 8 MHz by ZipGS accelerator card.

On no machine I'm a hardcore programmer, so I can't realize a DOSBOX project on the Apple IIGS nor on the Macintosh I'm currently using...

dh4rm4 wrote:

NThe PPC Amigas were not true Amiga machines

Btw, Intel-based Macintoshes are not true Macintoshes, though. 😦 😉

Klimawandel.

Reply 5 of 29, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think Steve Jobs might disagree but Steve Wozniak would buy you a beer. heh

DOSBox has some pretty steep requirements right now. Only recently with Core2Duo machines has DOSBox been able to run DOS 486 class games at proper 486 speeds with no frameskip.

Reply 7 of 29, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOSBox 0.70 has been ported to AmigaOS 4 already, by a forum member named Thematic.

abyss wrote:

An amiga 1200 might work.

Not a chance. I like my Amiga 1200 a lot, but it doesn't have any processing power to speak of today.

Reply 8 of 29, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OS4 is PPC and not what an A1200 runs. And yeah, 4fps from a game that is really 386 class. There's no way an a1200 or IIGS could hope to even run say, the original top down Wolfenstein, let alone Wolf 3D.

Reply 11 of 29, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dh4rm4 wrote:

I think Steve Jobs might disagree but Steve Wozniak would buy you a beer. heh

DOSBox has some pretty steep requirements right now. Only recently with Core2Duo machines has DOSBox been able to run DOS 486 class games at proper 486 speeds with no frameskip.

I haven't used frameskip in years, since the optimizations to the video.

Athlon XP 2800+. C2D not required.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 12 of 29, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
abyss wrote:

A p133 can run 80's dos games with dosbox and a 500 mhz can definately run duke 3d at nice speed.

No. Maybe with the dynamic core duke3D is somewhat playable in low settings, but the Amiga version of DOSBox would be unable to use the dynamic core. Oh, and a frameskip of 10 is by no means "nice speed".

I actually played Wolf3D on my A1200 back in 1997 or so, using an commerical PC emulator I got from an Amiga magazine and it was quite sluggish.

Reply 13 of 29, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can run duke 3d on a 500 mhz computer with dynamic mode and no frameskip with 6000 cycles and full graphics settings and it run nicely with dosbox 0.70 so don't say a 500 mhz commputer is too slow. The computer uses 85% usage at 6000 cycles.

Reply 15 of 29, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I checked trough the technical specs at mobygames and a few need at least a 32mhz 1200 and their is quake for amiga that looks like the pc version. Their is dosbox for the os/2 and i doubt those go faster than a pentium without being upgraded. Many of those are about 32 mhz and their is dosbox for pocket pc and those go around 32 mhz.

Reply 16 of 29, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Their is dosbox for the os/2 and i doubt those go faster than a pentium without being upgraded

They do, and even if not they're x86 and the amiga isn't (unless i missed something badly).

Reply 17 of 29, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

There is a fundamental flaw in your comparison of OS/2 and Amiga. OS/2 is an operating system (for the x86 architecture) and Amiga is a machine. Why won't you believe the people who know what they are writing about?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 18 of 29, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
abyss wrote:

I checked trough the technical specs at mobygames and a few need at least a 32mhz 1200 and their is quake for amiga that looks like the pc version. Their is dosbox for the os/2 and i doubt those go faster than a pentium without being upgraded. Many of those are about 32 mhz and their is dosbox for pocket pc and those go around 32 mhz.

So you're comparing a native Quake port to something that is emulated?

You do realise that DOSBox is an emulator, right? As such, it emulates the hardware. You're having a major flaw in your argument if you don't realise realise the difference between emulated hardware and non-emulated hardware and the architectural differences between the PC and the Amiga (which is why the dynamic core won't work on the Amiga). And considering you actually been here a member for awhile and have 200+ posts, it's something you should be aware of by now.

And have you ever tried Quake on a 32mhz 1200? I used the Amiga a lot back when Quake was released for it, and the general consciousness was that it was unplayable on anything less than a 50mhz 68060, and that's in the low 320x200 res. Heck, the fastest Doom port was barely playable on my 50mhz 68030 Amiga in 320x200 without lowering the settings slightly. Playable > 10 FPS IMO.

Get an old PC (75mhz Pentium), install Windows 2000/XP on it and run DOSBox with the normal core and try to make Quake/Duke3D or whatever to run well on that. It won't happen. But it would still run DOSBox better than an Amiga.

Reply 19 of 29, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know for sure that pentiums were at least 90 mhz and windows 2000 and xp will not work on a 90 mhz computer and if you do get it running on a 90 mhz computer i want to see a video of it on youtube.