idea

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I know for sure that pentiums were at least 90 mhz

As I wrote before why won't you believe the people who know what they are writing about?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium

But you got at least right that you can't (easily?) install W2k/XP on such a machine (W2k had a Pentium 133 as minimum requirement).

But even if the details don't match, the ghist remains true.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 21 of 29, by frobme

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
abyss wrote:

I know for sure that pentiums were at least 90 mhz and windows 2000 and xp will not work on a 90 mhz computer and if you do get it running on a 90 mhz computer i want to see a video of it on youtube.

Oh for cripes sake. At first I thought you were just a clever troll, but now I'm sadly drawn to the idea you just don't know.

Where to start? How about this: cycles != compute power. You keep comparing "Mhz" like it means something. It doesn't, unless you are talking a comparison between two like processors (a P3 500Mhz vs. a P3 750Mhz, for example). Even then components like cache and interface to general memory can make a huge difference to "speed".

A northwood Pentium4 at 3Ghz gets completely trounced by a Core Duo at half the cycle rate, even using only one core. Again, cycle rate != "speed" in the sense you are using it.

What if dosbox was released for amiga. You would not have to mod the amiga at all and it would be a good idea as amiga is still fairly popular.

I owned Amiga's, I programmed Amigas, I loved my Amiga. That doesn't mean I'm under the delusion that Amigas are "popular" any more except in emulation. There's the modern AmigaOS, but that is a PPC port and is not by most peoples definition "popular", in that its market penetration is basically nil. You can't even buy a hardware platform for it currently.

A later amiga could handle something like dosbox. You would just need to make a dosbox compatiable with amiga.

You say this like saying it makes it easy. Even simpler, why don't we just port XP over really quick to modern AmigaOS, then we can run Dosbox for Windows on the Amiga and all is well!

I have never used an amiga but it would still be good idea to make dosbox for amiga.

And I'm back to the troll suspicion.

-Frob

Reply 22 of 29, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just ignore the guy, and his "glorious" posts. Abyss got so much negative, ironic or sarcastic feedback in this forum that i honestly am wondering why he's still posting here. Most of his posts are completely useless (but sometimes worth a laugh). The "idea" in this thread is a very good example.

Reply 23 of 29, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For the record, being an old-time OS/2 fan:

abyss wrote:

Their is dosbox for the os/2 and i doubt those go faster than a pentium without being upgraded. Many of those are about 32 mhz and their is dosbox for pocket pc and those go around 32 mhz.

OS/2 (or eCos, as it's called today) still works on current hardware and has a small but dedicated fan community, so you get all the GHz's you can count 😀

Handhelds run at 400MHz or more these days. That is a lot of processing power that suffices for all non-action games (action games won't work, because handhelds don't have dynamic core).

Old Palm devices (Palm III and the like) were at 32MHz, and the are quite similar to an Amiga on the hardware side as well (same CPU), but those aren't in common use anymore for many years.

Reply 24 of 29, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not so sure. The first batch of Pentiums ran at 60, 66 and 90 Mhz (90 Mhz pentium was said to be a extremely hot chip).

Wikipedia says the first batch ran at 60 and 66 Mhz... maybe 60, 66 and 90 mhz were the first chips available in Spain.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 25 of 29, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

2000 installed pretty well on a P90 with 32mb of ram back in '99. (I think I had to remove a requirement for 64mb for it to install?...not sure).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 27 of 29, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

There is a need for hack or command line command to make it install on a machine below the specs (133 MHz), I *think*

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 28 of 29, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found it. I think the computer I was installing it on had less than 32mb of memory and 2000 wouldn't install so I had to modify this line in TXTSETUP.SIF:

RequiredMemory = 33030144

and set it to a lower amount.

Computer must have had either 16mb or 24mb in it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 29 of 29, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The main problem with porting DOSBox to the Amiga would be, from what little I know of programming, the source would probably need major rewrites.

The main power of the Amiga was delegation of function. It's unique chipset allowed different functions to actually be handled by dedicated chips acting as their own processors. It was also a lot more efficient with memory management than even today's PCs. 99% of the games, for example, would run just fine with a measly 1meg of memory installed. As a matter of fact, most of those would run well with only 512k of memory installed. The exact same game on a PC, in many cases, required 8meg or more of memory. Also, games that ran just fine on a stock 7.5mhz Amiga 68000 CPU (with much of the graphics, sound, math, etc... functions out-sourced to other chips,) ran slugishly on even a 33mhz 386 system. My stock A2000 consistently out-performed (over all,) my PC until I first upgraded to a Pentium computer. Even then, my stock A4000 still outperformed my PC (over all,) until the P3 came out.

The problem is, that this is only the case because those same programs were basically re-written to take advantage of the Amiga's unique chipsets. Because DOSBox's main usage requires it to function with 100's of games, I just cannot see any way that it could be altered to do the same. On the other hand, I see no reason whatsoever why it could not be compiled to take advantage of a PPC accelarator. It would not run at all on a stock Amiga, but by using the PPC processor, and if it could be written to out-source at least some of the functions, it should run rather well.

Feeding Dragon