VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by JamesField

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone.
Im pretty new into this, and im trying to install Quest for Glory 4 in my pc.
Im having little problem with the Dosbox emulator, but i have the both game cd, and the game itself in the computer.
I dont have any problems with doing this " mount " thing on the C drive, where the dosbox is, but im having problem with doing the " D " drive thing, my cd is in the " E " drive.
And also, i tried also to just use the emulator on the game that i have in the C drive also, but when i am trying to open " setup " it sayd " no DPMI, get csdpmi*b.zip "

Im wondring if anyone could help me with this and what to do?
THanks!
Master of orion

Reply 1 of 17, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To mount the CD write mount d e:\ -t cdrom.

You can get the latest csdpmi*b.zip here (it's near the bottom in the csdpmi5b.zip file). Just unpack the cwsdpmi.exe file in there and place it into the same directory as the game in question.

Reply 2 of 17, by JamesField

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Freddo wrote:

To mount the CD write mount d e:\ -t cdrom.

You can get the latest csdpmi*b.zip here (it's near the bottom in the csdpmi5b.zip file). Just unpack the cwsdpmi.exe file in there and place it into the same directory as the game in question.

Allright, cool I tried the cwsdpmi.exe thing and it worked.

Now when i was trying to follow some guide it says

#

# Configure sound, configure graphics, ...

A safe bet with configuring sound, is to select General MIDI or SoundBlaster. Don't try stuff like Gravis Ultrasound (GUS) or Adlib. If you are asked about details like IO/IRQ/DMA/High DMA addresses when configuring the game to use SoundBlaster for sound, use IO = 220, IRQ = 7, DMA = 1 (and sometimes High DMA = 5).

# Start the game.

Okay, i can configure sound, i choose soundblaster, i can do that, no problem.

but when i press " exit setup " it says " shutting down allegro "

What is that? How come i cannot start the game? What do i do to start the game?

THanks!
Master of orion

Reply 3 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Allegro??? Isn't that another cross-platform graphics library? What is that doing with Quest of Glory? Is this the real QoG or some port?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 17, by JamesField

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

I bet that he has QfG 4 1/2, a fan made game of questionable repute.

Yeah, you are right.
I am just gonna use the cd version of this game now, i have some cd with the first 4 games on it.
but i have little problem with installing the game.

before i install it, it says " this program will specify what type of hardware is installed to your machine. You must run it once before playing your Sierra game. "

OKay no proble, i push enter, to begin installation.

Next step i choose hardware, and i choose C drive of course.

and then i have to select music, audio and directory

I choose

Music : soundblaster / AdLid card (for compatibles)

Audio : Sound blaster

directory : C:/sierra/qganth/qg4cd

Then i say " accept these choises and start installation , but then i can choose tiny or full version, i choose full version (20 mb)

but then it says " Play shadow of darkness now [enter]

and also To play shadow of darkness later [enter]

and it says on the botton " press any key to continue "

I dont get this part, but i just pressed enter and i have also press any key, and then it says

" If you have not sent in your Sierra Warranty registration card, please take a moment now, fill it and send it "

What is that? What do you think i should do about this?

Reply 6 of 17, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nothing. It simply tells you how to start the game from the DOS prompt (not something you can do inside the installer, it is merely informative). It then tells you to press any key to continue the installation (which is complete, so this gives you a message about the registration card and then ends the installation program).

Reply 7 of 17, by JamesField

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kippesoep wrote:

Nothing. It simply tells you how to start the game from the DOS prompt (not something you can do inside the installer, it is merely informative). It then tells you to press any key to continue the installation (which is complete, so this gives you a message about the registration card and then ends the installation program).

Yeah, i did that. and then everything crash up, like i go back to the normal menu, but everything fucks up, i cant do anything else than close it.
Just wondering what to do 😖

Reply 8 of 17, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Weird. I just tried installing and it works fine. I've taken some snaps of the installation procedure. Check it out and let us know which parts are different.

Attachments

• Filename
    QfG4.png
    File size
    589.25 KiB
    Downloads
    174 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 17, by JamesField

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kippesoep wrote:

Weird. I just tried installing and it works fine. I've taken some snaps of the installation procedure. Check it out and let us know which parts are different.

Yea, i have some purple version of qfg, with the first 4 games on it.

but here is pictures of what i do, and how this fucks up

4mrvvy9.jpg

and then the sucky parts come here

4oqo75s.jpg

this is really weird 😖

Reply 10 of 17, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, that looks to be the Anthology menu that wraps the installer. The installation was probably successful. Try starting DOSBox again, but don't run the installer. (the D: and setup parts) instead, type "c:", "cd\sierra\cganth\qg4cd", "qg4cd". That should start the game.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 12 of 17, by JamesField

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kippesoep wrote:

Ah, that looks to be the Anthology menu that wraps the installer. The installation was probably successful. Try starting DOSBox again, but don't run the installer. (the D: and setup parts) instead, type "c:", "cd\sierra\cganth\qg4cd", "qg4cd". That should start the game.

This happend when i do this

4y6wppw.jpg

Pretty weird, i must say. Am i doing something wrong maybe?

Reply 13 of 17, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, you copied my typo. It's "qganth", not "cganth". Basically, do what it says in your own screenshot, number 7, under "To play Shadows of Darkness later".

Reply 14 of 17, by JamesField

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kippesoep wrote:

Yeah, you copied my typo. It's "qganth", not "cganth". Basically, do what it says in your own screenshot, number 7, under "To play Shadows of Darkness later".

Allright, this works now!
Thanks alot man, you helped me alot and thanks everyone!

But im wondering if i wanna start the game, do i have to write all this " mount " thing over again? and also the colours are little bit fucked up, but i can survived that i guess

Thanks again!

Reply 16 of 17, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You'd have to mount, yes. You can also put the mount lines in the [autoexec] section of dosbox.conf.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 17 of 17, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

With the Sierra collections it is usually best to simply copy the individual games' folders to the HDD and run the game installers separately, not the collections' installers.

Yeah, it craps the Windows menu when installing them in Windows... 😠

Klimawandel.