VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by made

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings

Since I upgraded to the latest DosBox version (0.70), I have the following problem:

When I close games I run in DosBox several times, DosBox "hangs" and I am unable to start it again or run any games until I reboot the PC.
This seems to be independant of what game I run and appears to be random, ie sometimes I can close a game several times and start again, sometimes it "hangs" just after I run it once.

It can be quite annoying, as some games tend to require many restarts to set them up properly, meaning I have to reboot a lot.

Does anyone have an idea what the cause for this could be?

Reply 1 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

When you have closed DOSBox, does it still exists as a process in Task Manager?

You can also try to change the output=.... setting in your dosbox.conf file. It might be something to do with the way DOSBox uses your graphics drivers. A different output-method might work around the issue.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 12, by made

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I suspected that too, that it doesn't exit properly and still exists as a process in the background, preventing a new instance to start up, but that is not the case.

I tried several of the output methods, but none make a difference. What happens is the screen turns black for a second or two as if it was starting up, then goes back to the desktop.

Reply 3 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Try uninstalling 0.70 and install 0.65 instead. Check if the problem still exists then.

Reply 8 of 12, by made

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Eh... I hadn't realized those dlls were in the installation folder.

I had run the exe out of the browser because I thought it was a patch or somesuch, and then googled the dlls after it gave me an error and put them in windows/system. 😊

Reply 9 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
made wrote:

...and then googled the dlls after it gave me an error and put them in windows/system. 😊

DON'T put the DLL's in WINDOWS\system or anywhere else. The DLL's should go in the same directory as the DOSBox executable.

Reply 11 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

thanks for reporting back.
for interrested readers. There is no secret patch in that nt2 build. It's just the cvs.
The fallback code was fixed correctly a few days ago.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!