VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by D-man

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using a macbook pro. I've mounted the c drive and the d drive (confirmed by referencing mac pictoral guide and Mini Max User guide). My problem is installing the game (Warcraft). The Warcraft manual indicates I should type "INSTALL". I have done that but I am told that is an Illegal command. I have tried "dir /w". This shows a number of files, such as [WARCRA~1] but I don't know how to access these files.

I think I am close and was hoping somebody could offer some helpful advice. (I am not very computer or dos savvy)

Thanks to all for any assistance

Reply 1 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

If you look at the CD from the Mac side (through your Finder or whatever it is called on the Mac these days), do you see an INSTALL file on the CD? If so, what is the path to it?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 9, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
D-man wrote:

I have tried "dir /w". This shows a number of files, such as [WARCRA~1] but I don't know how to access these files.

Dir name (or file name) is longer than 8 characters, so it'll be shortened with the ~1 by the emulated DOS. Correct me if I'm wrong.
If possible, you should snip the file/folder names...

Klimawandel.

Reply 3 of 9, by D-man

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Minimax, I see "Warcraft Installer" on the CD when I go into finder. How would I find its path?

IIGS, What do you mean when you write snip the file/folder name?

Thanks for the responses and continued help.

Reply 4 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

"Warcraft Installer" is not a typical DOS name (they are only 8+3 characters). Is there an INSTALL program somewhere in that "Warcraft Installer" folder?

Reply 5 of 9, by D-man

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Minimax, no luck in that regard, but when I type:
dir /w

I get:

Dir of D:\:
[.] [..] [DESKTO~3] [SYSTEM~1] [WARCRA~1] [WARCRA~2] [WARCRA~3] [WARCRA~5] APPLES~1 DESKTO~1 WARCRA~4.1RE WARCRA~6 WARCRA~7
7 File(s) 70,155,952 bytes 8 Dir(s)

Is there anything I can/should be doing at that point?

Reply 6 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Use the Finder, not DOSBox, to locate the INSTALL program. There is no reason to use DOSBox to find and run INSTALL unless we know for sure that there is one. So use the normal MacOSX Finder first.

Reply 7 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

[.] [..] [DESKTO~3] [SYSTEM~1] [WARCRA~1] [WARCRA~2] [WARCRA~3] [WARCRA~5] APPLES~1 DESKTO~1 WARCRA~4.1RE WARCRA~6 WARCRA~7

you are obviously not mounting a CD-Rom but another hard drive or folder as D:\ (at least not the original CD-Rom).
You have your Warcraft games in folders with long names (more than 8.3 signs) and it's hard to say which one is the right one for warcraft.
you could try changing folders to one of the WARCRA~ folders by typing
cd Warcra~1
and try to execute install there.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 9, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
D-man wrote:

IIGS, What do you mean when you write snip the file/folder name?

This:

MiniMax wrote:

"Warcraft Installer" is not a typical DOS name (they are only 8+3 characters)

I mean, your file names must not be the original DOS names, rename them to the 8.3 convention ("warcraft.exe" somewhat).
Folder names ("subdirectoy" in DOS) should not be longer than 8 characters, I think).

Klimawandel.

Reply 9 of 9, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
D-man wrote:

I'm sure he mounted the root dir of a hard disk (see pict).

The "WARCA~1...7" folders, what does that mean in original? Install disks?
There is some trick to mount images (of these Install disks) into *one* DOSBox letter and change them by pressing key combination.
I'm not an expert in changing mounted images...

Attachments

• mountmac-hd.png
    Filename
    mountmac-hd.png
    File size
    26.75 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    See the root dir of a Macintosh HD in DOSBOX: mount c "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/"
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Klimawandel.