VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DOSBox lets us choose the devices for the audio output; does MAME32 (or derivatives) or other emulators have that feature?
Like I have two soundcards, will other emulators let me chose which one to use for the WAVE output and which one to use for the FM/soundtrack/music?

Reply 1 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Well, it seems I either misunderstand you or you misunderstand Dosbox. The only choice you get for output is the midi device. Everything else is controlled by the host system. I *think* this may be supported by other emulators as well. Exult, even though not an emulator, gives the midi device choice as well. Might be just something which is easy to do with SDL 😀

Edit: I probably just misunderstood you 😀

Reply 4 of 6, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All emulated sound goes through a common software mixer, you already should know that: That's what the mixerrate configuration controls, and that's why you can't separate different emulated audio signals into separate channels/tracks.

I think someone did a "real PC speaker" patch, but since DOSBox is all about being hardware-independent, it probably won't ever find it's way into the official releases. Search the forums and the sourceforge page if you are interested.

Reply 5 of 6, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TranceDude wrote:

and is there a way in dosbox to choose what card to use for pc speaker output and what card for sb16 emulated music? (if you have 2 sound cards connected to a mixing console and I want pc speaker sounds to go to card 1, all other sounds to card 2)
I think not, but maybe I didn't see it?

Can dosbox also use the *real* physical pc speaker for pc speaker sounds (it's not emulating I know, but it's just a question)?

you can try and play with settings in your control panel: i.e. playing WAVE sounds on a card and MIDI output with another one