VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dekks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dosbox 0.70 crashes upon startup for me, windows gives the usual 'An illegal exception has occured' and the detailed error is:

AppName: dosbox.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: sdl.dll
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0002e699

I have read the FAQ and tried changing the output from the default 'surface' to ddraw, opengl etc but it still crashes when it tries to launch.

The interesting thing is that 0.65 and previous versions work perfectly, and if I copy the version of SDL.dll that is included in Dosbox 0.70 and replace the ones included with earlier versions of Dosbox, they still continue to run no problem, it is just Dosbox 0.70 that does not want to run.

I have a AMD Athlon 2200+, 1.25 gigs of ram, Raedeon 9200 128mb and am running Windows XP SP2. My sound is just your generic onboard realtek chip.

Any ideas?

Reply 2 of 2, by dekks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep, Directdraw is enabled and it passes all the tests. I also tried all the different display methods available (at least he ones listed in the .conf file) and still got a crash for each one.

Edit:

For what it's worth, I haven't been having any problems with 0.65 whatsoever so it's not the end of the world if it won't run, I just cannot for the life of me figure out WHY it won't run 😀