VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello all 😀 Sorry to bother you with this problem, but you are my last hope, as I didn't find the answer in ubuntu forums... 🙁

I am having problems running dosbox 0.70 on Ubuntu Feisty fawn 7.04. First, I installed SDL with the Synaptic PM, then I installed dosbox using this guide:
http://gaming.gwos.org/e107_plugins/content/c … .php?content.39
I compiled it and then started it, but it crashed with:

Exit to error: Can't init SDL No available video device

I tried allmost everything - reinstalling SDL, reinstalling dosbox, adding some other packages that had SDL in them, tried editing dosbox config file (modifying SDL options) - still nothing.

Then I deleted every trace of dosbox 0.70 and installed 0.65-1 with apt-get install dosbox --reinstall , and it worked! I tried again to install 0.70 but without success. Is there any hope that I can run the new version of dosbox in Ubuntu?

Thanks!

Details:

Laptop Prestigio Nobile 156, Centrino 1.4Ghz 1MB cache, 1GB DDR333, ATI mobility Radeon 9600 w 64MB intern RAM, AC'97 audio with ALSA;
Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04
Reproducibility of problem: every time I start dosbox 0.70
Video mode: GNOME, with opensource ATI drivers, beryl manager with AIGLX in 1400x1050
# Version of emulator: DOSBox, 0.70

I am a pretty old DOSBox user (since ver 0.58 ) and I never had any problems until now. I read FAQ and Readme.txt, but I found nothing that could help. Any help is deeply appreciated!

Reply 1 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

it is probably an sdl problem
did you use the ubuntu sdl package ?
libsdl-dev or so ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 5, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here, I am using these SDL packages. The other three packages that are not shown are libsdl-stretch-dev version 0.2.3-7, libsdlttf2.0-0 version 2.0.8-3build1 and libsdlttf2.0-dev version 2.0.8-3build1.

I think I installed every single possible option that had any (meaningful) SDL in it, and it still doesn't work 🙁

Attachments

• Filename
    sshot.jpg
    File size
    150.75 KiB
    Downloads
    165 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception