VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ryandrze

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I switch to fullscreen mode, I get a small picture with a black border around it- in other words, the picture stays the same fixed size, while the rest of the 'full' screen is blank. I've messed around with the config file quite a bit, and tried previous versions of dosbox, all to no avail. What do I do to get a true full screen?

Reply 2 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Scalers shouldn't matter. More likely you need to change the output method in the dosbox.conf file.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
When I switch to fullscreen mode, I get a small picture with a black border around it- in other words, the picture stays the sam […]
Show full quote

When I switch to fullscreen mode, I get a small picture with a black border around it- in other words, the picture stays the same fixed size, while the rest of the 'full' screen is blank. I've messed around with the config file quite a bit, and tried previous versions of dosbox, all to no avail. What do I do to get a true full screen?

you answered: Scalers shouldn't matter. More likely you need to change the output method in the dosbox.conf file.

i have the same problem, what should i do ??? and what do i need to change in the output= ??????

i cant speak english well.
hope you understand

see ya

Try these settings in dosbox.conf:

[sdl]
output=overlay
windowresolution=1024x768

Now run DOSBox in windowed-mode and you should get a nice big window. Adjust the 1024x768 to match your actual full screen size, and it will be just like fullscreen-mode. (I hope)

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 10, by Thaurin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Isn't there a way to do the scaling in full-screen mode? I have this same problem and you gave me similar advise, but I'd like to get rid of the title bar and taskbar while playing a game. Also, it seems to keep aspect ratio, even when I have aspect=false.

I'd love to just have fullscreen scaled to the whole screen.

Reply 8 of 10, by Thaurin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know I'm hijacking the thread a bit, but I'm having the same problem, anyway. 😉 I've tried several outputs: overlay, opengl, ddraw... to no avail. I could try upgrading my video drivers, but they are pretty recent and I have little faith that it will help...

But you're telling me that it should just scale to the right resolution if I put 640x480 or my desktop resolution as fullresolution? Even knowing that would help, because it'd mean that something is not right at my side.

Reply 9 of 10, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had the same issue playing dark forces fullscreen in dosbox, and fixed it by using:
fullscreen=true
fullresolution=640x480
output=surface
I hope this helps you.

Reply 10 of 10, by Thaurin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nope, none of the outputs make any difference. The result is always the same, which leads me to believe that DOSBox isn't doing something that it should be doing according to the config.

By the way, the game in question is Toonstruck. Maybe it's just the game giving trouble?