VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sas215

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

The very old Discworld1 works pefectly under DOSBOX. Thank you very much for this great DOS emulator!

But the saved game-situation is not placed into the directory it should be. It seems it is placed somewhere into the Nirvana. Searching all the discspace doesn't make sense. No saved game anywhere. So there is no idea to reload a saved game. The file seemed to be lost.

Did I make anything wrong? Is there probably a prob with NTFS partitions?

What can I do, saving the Game and reload it?

Thank you for help.

Regards: Wolfgang

Reply 1 of 9, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Save games should be stored somewhere in the directory where
you installed the game to. Assure that you really installed the game,
and that all files in that target directory are accessible (no read-only
attribute at some file).

Reply 2 of 9, by sas215

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you. I solved the problem already. The Mistake was mounting the main game directory "discwld.cd" itself as the harddrive C: as discribed in the readme file of Dosbox (may be I missunderstood something).
There fore the game was searching a subdirectory named "discwld.cd\save" in the DOSBOX drive C: to save or restore game situations.
But because the drive C: was already the directory "discwld.cd" for the game there was for shure no subdirectory "C:\discwld.cd\save".
I simply copied the complete "discwld.cd" directory into a directory named "Games" and mountet this directory as a harddrive in Dosbox. Now it works pefect.

My current syntax in the batchfile (dosbox_discworld.bat) starting the game is:
dosbox -c "mount c c:\games" -c "mount I W:\ -t cdrom" -c "C:" -c "cd discwld.cd" -c "disc" -exit
("W:" is my DVD-Drive)

Last edited by sas215 on 2007-05-31, 19:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 9, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Right, in general it's best to have some directory on your hard disk
mounted as c (like "mount c c:\oldgames") and install the games
there. This way they can create the save games etc.

If you think some part of the readme was unclear/could lead to
misunderstandings feel free to tell or rephrase that sentence(s).

Reply 4 of 9, by sas215

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello wd,
I think, unclear is this part of the readme I followed first:
"dosbox c:\atlantis\atlantis.exe.....This mounts c:\atlantis as c:\ and runs atlantis.exe."

I think, this syntax caused my problems, because it mounts the main game-directory as the c-drive. But with Discworld it does'nt work.
May be this syntax causes also problems with other games. I don't know.
But I think, it will be ok pointing out this issue in the readme file.

EDIT:
You did a great job! My wife played discworld about 12 years ago and she loved it. She whanted to play it again since a couple of years, but I never could bring it to work with sound. You must know: Without sound this game is less then the half fun, because Eric Idle from the Monty Pythons is speaking the main figure Rincewind. And he does it in his own special funny way. If you ever played this game hearing his voice, you will never miss the sound.

So thank you very much. You gave us the way to enjoy this old highlight again.

Last edited by sas215 on 2007-05-31, 20:56. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 5 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

ah, I see where you got on the wrong way. The example really should be rephrased. It's just meant (as far as I can see) to show what you can do with the command line. But as it is written BEFORE the mount command is explained properly it can cause problems.
And yes, mounting the game folder as C:\ is problematic and shouldn't be done 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

@wd

Mounting your entire C drive with MOUNT C C:\ is NOT recommended!

is not the same as

mounting the game folder as C:\ is problematic and shouldn't be done

😀
It's a common error here that people mount the game folder as c:\ (e.g. C:\Atlantis as c:\ or C:\games\atlantis as c:\) and it's one of those things people get asked to correct first before the community further trouble shoots.