VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Tyler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've noticed on some games, DOSBox goes from the specified "Auto" cycle setting to exactly 3000 cycles with no error or explaination. This happens once certain games are run. I don't understand why. Is there something else I should know about? Am I doing something wrong?

For instance... here is a shortcut to Frontier:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.70\dosbox.exe" "D:\FRONTIER\FRONTIER.EXE" -exit -conf "D:\FRONTIER\dosbox.conf" -noconsole

DOSBox boots with 3000 cycles per second in the above example. Below is the same shortcut used for Daggerfall:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.70\dosbox.exe" "D:\DAGGER\DAGGER.BAT" -exit -conf "D:\DAGGER\dosbox.conf" -noconsole

It boots using "Auto" cycles.

The "dosbox.conf" file is the same for both games. Frontier's config file is literally a copy of Daggerfall's. But this is not about Frontier or Daggerfall. Most everything I use with DOSBox works great. Only a handful of titles have this strange behavior. In fact, there are some games that have a two-part bootup: the main executable loads the title screen and credits and then loads another exectuable for the main menu at which time DOSBox goes directly to a 3000 cycle setting.

Is this a known issue or am I just lucky? 😀

Thanks for any insight you may have!

Asus P5E Deluxe (X48 & ICH9R)
Intel Core2Duo E8400 (3 GHz) w/ Zalman CNPS9500A LED
OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Platinum Edition (4GB)
Diamond ATI Radeon HD 3780 512MB PCI-E 2.0

Reply 1 of 3, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Cycles=auto leaves cycles at 3000 for real mode games and switches to auto for protected mode. That's because real mode games tend to be not so CPU hungry and might have problems with too many cycles.

1+1=10

Reply 2 of 3, by Tyler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Cycles=auto leaves cycles at 3000 for real mode games and switches to auto for protected mode. That's because real mode games tend to be not so CPU hungry and might have problems with too many cycles.

Thank you! That's what I needed to know. I noticed a new option for cycles in the conf file: MAX 😁

Asus P5E Deluxe (X48 & ICH9R)
Intel Core2Duo E8400 (3 GHz) w/ Zalman CNPS9500A LED
OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Platinum Edition (4GB)
Diamond ATI Radeon HD 3780 512MB PCI-E 2.0