VOGONS

Common searches

sdl e midi

Topic actions

First post, by basilico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, Hardly they are enrolled me and I have already need of aid, have installed dosbox on win98 and when the start says to me: SDL, can't set palette and MIDI: opened device win32 error and then it returns in windows. As I can resolve. thanks 😢

Reply 1 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Make sure that you have the latest drivers for your video card installed.
Also make sure that video acceleration is set to full.
Verify that your desktop color is set to 16bit/32bit.
Make sure that you have a sound card/drivers capable of MIDI.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Just curious: Why do you need DOSBox when you have Windows 98? Shouldn't all your DOS games work just fine with from Win98?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heh. With win95 and a SB16 you shouldn't have any problems playing DOS games without DosBox. Only problem you'll probably have is a speed issue with older games.

Reply 5 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It *might* be that you have run into incompatibilities between SDL and Windows 95 (this concerns the Midi problem as well, as it relies on SDL). Windows 95 is now a really old System that might just lack certain features. Though as MiniMax wrote, such a system should be able to handle old games natively without the need of Dosbox.

But something that might help:
start a command prompt and enter
set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=windib
and then start Dosbox from that prompt. This way it *could* be that you at least get rid of the palette problem.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 9, by basilico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On Windows 95 and the 98 games they are worked without dosbox but I wanted to try however. I have tried to settare windib and hour all ok, but the game is slow and music goes in jerks, has noticed that if septum windib the dosbox does not give error to me but it works equally but is always slow, like never?

thanks

Reply 9 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heh. Yes, that is extremely slow for DosBox. You may be able to play some early to late 80's games in it though.

DosBox is intended for modern fast computers that cannot run these games anymore, not dawn of the age era computers that the games were actually designed for.

Good to hear that it still works in '95. Now we just need 3.x/3.5x compatibility.....🤣.