VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When I record movies with dosbox I can't convert them to another format without problems, or in some cases getting the codec (like divx) to start at all.

I get an error saying there is an invalid video stream, or the source picture is not suitable, etc.. When I try h264 it encodes but the image is way messed up, like a bad TV signal from bad in the day.

What am I missing here? Can't seem to find an answer by googling or anything. I'm using DosBox 0.70

Reply 1 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

your recoder is capable of handling ZMBV ?
ffmpeg and virtualdub (with codec from startmenu installed) are capable of handling it.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 5, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Regular VirtualDub doesn't seem to want to do anything, won't even see the codecs I have installed. At first I couldn't even get the ZMBV codec to work for playback even after using the start menu install. I had to hunt down an actual installer program that installed it.

So I'm using VdubMOD, which sees all my codecs and can open the DosBOX recorded AVI's fine. It just throws me that error when I try to DivX something.

I can dump it into Xvid, but that just makes the file size bigger.. And RGB of course doesn't complain, will happilly make gigabyte sized files without an issue. Even from those formats I can't get it to DivX stuff.

So that's been my experience. In case it matters I'm using XP 64-bit

Reply 4 of 5, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Like I said, I tried. I clicked the shortcut but it wouldn't install properly from what I can tell. So I found an installer that installed it with the version it had bundled. Only then was I even able to view playback.

edit: I looked in VdubMOD and the ZMBV codec is listed as "Zipped Motion Block Video v0.1"

edit2: I did manually copy the dll to the windows system folder(s) and ran the start menu install again, so I believe I am using the codec supplied with DOSBox at this point..

Reply 5 of 5, by romantic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You can encode your DOSBox videos firstly through Nero into .mpg file and then to any format you want e.g. to the .avi file trough AllToAVI. When you encode DOSBox videos into .mpg through Nero you get file 4 times bigger than the original, but by converting the .mpg file back to .avi through AllToAVI, the file size reduces 4 times, often getting even a little bit smaller than the original DOSBox file without quality loss. In fact the bigger the .mpg file to be converted, the smaller the .avi file that comes out of it through AllToAVI., but the original DOSBox videos get 4 times more compressed than the .avi files encoded through AllToAVI, and the quality of the DOSBox video files converted directly through AllToAVI is bad, therefore DOSBox video at first must be proceeded through Nero. Let me know if you want more details.

To be happy, just make the others feel the same way!