VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Madhoax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I searched the forum, but I haven't been able to find an answer to my problem. What I did found was a problem with directdraw that wasn't enabled, but that not seems to be my problem.

My problem:

I installed Player Manager 2 extra, the search for glory.
In dosbox I enabled the whole C drive, and the cd drive (which is E: at my laptop).

When the game has been installed (in dosbox) and I try to start the game, after the intro i get the text:

-------------------------------
Illegal command: mode
CD not found - terminating

Program terminating!
-------------------------------

What is the problem? I really don't know, when I look into my E drive in dosbox, it finds the cd....

I have not found a nocd crack for pm2. In the pm2.exe file this commands are shown:

@ECHO OFF
SET DOS4G=QUIET
E:
CD \
GO C:\GAMES\PM2 %1

IS there something to hack there?

Help much apreciated!

Reply 6 of 91, by Madhoax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The content is the same:

pm2.bat:
@ECHO OFF
SET DOS4G=QUIET
E:
CD \
GO C:\PM2EXTRA %1

pm2extra.bat:
@ECHO OFF
SET DOS4G=QUIET
E:
CD \
GO C:\PM2EXTRA %1

It's kinda silly because when I install the game the cd works fine in Dosbox, but when I start the game at C:\ the program cannot find it. Also at the beginning of the game a movie is played from the cd, because I notice that it begins to spin at that point, but after the movie I get the error message...

Reply 7 of 91, by Madhoax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sorry, there is a E:\Go.bat
content of this one:

@echo off
SET DOS4G=QUIET

if %1X == X goto error

cd \intro
call intro %1

:loop
cd \manager
mode co80

svga %1
if errorlevel 1 goto end
cd \play

main %1
if errorlevel 1 goto end
goto loop

:error
echo.
echo Please type SETUP to configure and install
echo.
goto out

:end
echo.
echo Program Terminating!
echo.
cd\
:out

Reply 8 of 91, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think mode is a support comand in DosBox so you'll have to REM that out.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 91, by Madhoax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

I don't think mode is a support comand in DosBox so you'll have to REM that out.

The only line with the command "Mode" is on the cd.

By rem out you mean remove? Like in this example I found:

Open WinClean.bat with Notepad and change ('rem out') :- This line : echo >>C:\winstart.bat del winstart.bat To this : rem […]
Show full quote

Open WinClean.bat with Notepad and change ('rem out') :-
This line :
echo >>C:\winstart.bat del winstart.bat
To this :
rem echo >>C:\winstart.bat del winstart.bat
(or just delete the whole line, if you like).

I'm not sure if I can do this on cd....

Reply 10 of 91, by Madhoax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok,

I tried the following:

I copied the cd to my D drive, which is my normal harddisk, no CDROM. I edited the go.bat file, I adjusted this:

cd \manager
mode co80

Into this:

cd \manager
rem mode co80

Now I get this error message:

CD not found - terminating
Program terminating!

Reply 11 of 91, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Or you can make one!

In DOSBox go to your C:\PM2 folder:

Z:\>C:
C:\>cd PM2

Now create a fake MODE command:

C:\>echo @rem > MODE.BAT

And finally tell DOSBox where to find the fake MODE command:

C:\>set PATH=Z:\;C:\PM2

Now start the game.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 12 of 91, by Madhoax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

Now start the game.

This seems to work, I didn't get any failure messages.

But when I start the game now, the program returns to:
E:\manager>

So the game doesn't start after the intro, but it returns to dosbox.

What I did was:

go to pm2 folder type: echo @rem mode bat Dosbox wrote: @rem mode bat type: set path=E:\;C:\pm2 Dosbox wrote: (nothing) […]
Show full quote

go to pm2 folder
type: echo @rem mode bat
Dosbox wrote: @rem mode bat
type: set path=E:\;C:\pm2
Dosbox wrote: (nothing)

Did I do something wrong?

Reply 13 of 91, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Madhoax wrote:

Yes, you typed

echo @rem mode bat

instead of the correct

echo @rem > mode.bat

You left out the > and the period / full stop!

tearex

Reply 14 of 91, by Madhoax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It still doesn't work, yesterday I tried without the > and then i got some feedback from dosbox, now when I type it, it says nothing.

When I start the game however, I don't get a failure message, but it returns to E:\Manager.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    Filename
    1.JPG
    File size
    38.61 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    First screen
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 2.JPG
    Filename
    2.JPG
    File size
    13.45 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Second screen
    File license

Reply 15 of 91, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Madhoax wrote:

What I did was:

go to pm2 folder type: echo @rem mode bat Dosbox wrote: @rem mode bat type: set path=E:\;C:\pm2 Dosbox wrote: (nothing) […]
Show full quote

go to pm2 folder
type: echo @rem mode bat
Dosbox wrote: @rem mode bat
Dosbox wrote: (nothing)

In addition to what TeaRex just said, you also wrote

instead of what I said:

C:\>set PATH=Z:\;C:\PM2

And you typed it wrong when you mounted the CD-ROM too. It should be

C:\>mount e e:\ -t cdrom

not

C:\>mount e e:\ -tcdrom

(What is it with young people these days? Don't they learn to read and write?)

And third, it is not recommended to use E: for your CD-drive, better use D: as in

C:\>mount D E:\ -t cdrom

(but if you do that, you will probably have to re-install the game before you can try playing it again).
And 4th, instead of doing this by hand every time, learn to edit the dosbox.conf file with Notepad, and put all the commands you need in the autoexec-section at the bottom of the dosbox.conf file (it is all explained in my neat little 60 seconds guide)

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 16 of 91, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sit back. Relax. Take a deep breath.

After you did that: delete all files you have installed so far. It seems there are some basic misunderstandings here. I don't have the game to test, but i noticed a few strange things from your posts. The first thing that struck me is the fact that in your first post, you quote a batchfile command with "GO C:\GAMES\PM2 %1". But in your latest screenshots, the game seems to be installed to "C:\PM2". In a post between these two, there's suddenly a "C:\PM2EXTRA" path. All this is confusing, and you have to sort out the "where is the game installed?"-stuff _before_ looking for other potential problems.

If i were you, i'd take the following steps:

- First, create a new directory for DOSBox' virtual C:\-drive. You can call this whatever you want, and it can be on any harddisk partition.

- Start DOSBox, and mount the directory you have just created as drive C:\. It would make sense to include this (and other) mount command(s) at the end of your dosbox.conf, in the "[autoexec]" section. The line should look like this:
mount c: <drive>:\<directory>
So, for example, if you have previously created a "c:\dosgames" directory, the command would be
mount c: c:\dosgames

- After these steps, you should have an empty c:\ drive in DOSBox. Now for the game itself. In your previous attempts, you had mounted c:\, and the game CD to e:\. That could be a source of trouble, because there's a "missing" drive letter. I'd simply mount the cdrom as drive d:\. To do that, type:
mount d: e:\ -t cdrom
Note there is a space between the "-t" and the "cdrom". What you did now, is that you mounted your "real" cdrom like a harddisk directory. That _might_ be a possible source of problems, but most CD-ROM games run fine like this. For now, let's just continue.

- OK, now we have, in DOSBox, the empty c:\ drive, and the d:\ drive, which is your CD-ROM. Now, switch to the d:\ drive, install the game, configure your sound settings, and try to start the game.

It is _important_ that you keep the mountings _exactly_ like they are now. Don't move any directories/files, or change any directory names. Obviously, the game inserts directory paths into the batchfiles (probably during the installation) - if these paths change, the game can no longer find the files it needs.

Some words about that "mode" command: DosFreak mentioned that the "mode" command is not supported in DOSBox. From what i can see in the batch files you've posted, that command _could_ be an internal command of the game, not the standard DOS command, but that's just a wild guess. Anyway, the batchfile will continue to execute, even if this command could not be found, or executed.

What happens now if you start the game? If you're still having troubles, there are a lot of other things you could try, but let's make this step by step. Just remember: KEEP YOUR MOUNTINGS AND DIRECTORY NAMES EXACTLY LIKE THEY WERE WHEN INSTALLING THE GAME.

Edit: MiniMax was a little faster with his post. 😀

Reply 17 of 91, by Madhoax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all, thanks a million for all the help! I'm really glad there are people who know computers 😁

But it still doesn't work.

MiniMax wrote:

(What is it with young people these days? Don't they learn to read and write?)

I'm sorry that I gave you this idea, I have tried to solve this problem lots of times, I installed a fresh game everytime I tried some code. So when you said I should use z:\ I first used Z:\, when that didn't work I used my cdrom letter which is E:\ because I thought it was directing it to my cdrom driveletter. But thanks for the tip. 😀

Attachments

• 7.JPG
    Filename
    7.JPG
    File size
    14.51 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    And after the movie, I am back at the cd drive again.
    File license
  • 6.JPG
    Filename
    6.JPG
    File size
    26.63 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    The movie starts playing from the cd drive....
    File license
  • 4.JPG
    Filename
    4.JPG
    File size
    60.27 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Game is installed, and I type the codes
    File license
  • 2.JPG
    Filename
    2.JPG
    File size
    49.91 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Setup menu
    File license
  • Filename
    1.JPG
    File size
    143.99 KiB
    Downloads
    2202 downloads
    File comment
    Mounting and starting setup.exe from cd drive
    File license

Reply 18 of 91, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmm, that's odd... You did completely re-install the game, and not just change the setup, didn't you?

The next thing i would try is the following:

- Copy the contents of the CD to a directory of your choice
- Look for the .BAT files in that directory (this should be GO.BAT, i think), and in the directory you've installed the game
- Open these .BAT files with notepad, and delete all the the "SET DOS4G=QUIET", and the "@ECHO OFF" lines. After that small "patch", you'll be able to see the output of the batch files, and a possible DOS4GW error message, after starting the game.
- Mount the directory from step #1 exactly like you have mounted your CD before (mount d: <drive>:\<path> -t cdrom).
- Start the game.

If one of the programs that start the game doesn't clear the screen, you should see some messages from the batchfiles, and maybe a DOS4GW error message. Is there anything like that?

If there's still nothing on the screen, you could try to start the game's main executable directly, without using the batch files. To do that type the following in DOSBox:
d:
cd manager
cd play
main

If that last "main" command alone doesn't work, you can also try "main c:\pm2". From what i can see in the batch files you have posted, this seems to be the command to start the game itself.

If all of this fails, it will be hard to identify the source of the problem, without having the game. I don't have it, sorry...

Reply 19 of 91, by Madhoax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ADDiCT wrote:
- Copy the contents of the CD to a directory of your choice - Look for the .BAT files in that directory (this should be GO.BAT, […]
Show full quote

- Copy the contents of the CD to a directory of your choice
- Look for the .BAT files in that directory (this should be GO.BAT, i think), and in the directory you've installed the game
- Open these .BAT files with notepad, and delete all the the "SET DOS4G=QUIET", and the "@ECHO OFF" lines. After that small "patch", you'll be able to see the output of the batch files, and a possible DOS4GW error message, after starting the game.
- Mount the directory from step #1 exactly like you have mounted your CD before (mount d: <drive>:\<path> -t cdrom).
- Start the game.

If one of the programs that start the game doesn't clear the screen, you should see some messages from the batchfiles, and maybe a DOS4GW error message. Is there anything like that?

I have not deleted the dos4g=quit and @echo off messages, but I put rem in front of it like this: rem dos4g=quit. I have read that it's the same as deleting them. And yes, in the cd folder and in the folder where the game was installed. I loaded the cd that I copied onto my harddisk as cdrom at D:\.

But it still doesn't work. See the screener....

Well... Just have to live without PM2 then. 😀

But thanks again for the trouble.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    Filename
    1.JPG
    File size
    35.09 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Failure messages after starting the game.
    File license