VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 80 of 91, by Sighmohn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:
ok, that is interesting. I just tried myself with a bin/cue and wasn't able to get it started. Dosbox 0.74 would report "Exit to […]
Show full quote

ok, that is interesting. I just tried myself with a bin/cue and wasn't able to get it started.
Dosbox 0.74 would report "Exit to error: Illegal descriptor type 0 for int 10"
and SVN does write "terminate called after throwing an instance of 'char*'
Abort trap" to the console

Edit: the CD was checked and there were no audio tracks to list...

So going back, is there anything that can be done to solve these errors? (Illegal descriptor and instance of 'char*').

A cue/bin file has worked for other people because the original CD is meant to contain audio tracks, hence why a normal iso wasn't working (see Jim25's posts in this thread). So the game is looking for audio tracks on start up and my cue/bin doesn't contain them because my original cd doesn't? So my original CD is rubbish? Is this right? FYI, I think I've already tried mounting as a .iso and it didn't work (CD not found - terminating message was the result)...

PS: Thanks for your help on this anyway Dominus...

Reply 81 of 91, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Try running LOADFIX before running the game. If the default 64kB allocation doesn't work, try different amounts.

If the missing "mode" message is annoying, you can put MODE.COM from MSDOS or FreeDOS somewhere in the path.

Reply 82 of 91, by Sighmohn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I've attempted the loadfix but didn't work. How would I try different amounts? Not sure what you mean about mode.com but I got rid of that error message via something else which was suggested on page 1 of this thread.

It may be unrelated but just before loading up the intro (and subsequently exiting to the D:\Manager) it says "your video card is not VESA compliant" or something. Is this relevant?

Thanks for your help...

Attachments

Reply 83 of 91, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I don't see the message about VESA compliance. Are you using machine=svga_s3 or something else?

The GO.BAT file is on the CD, and I recommend for troubleshooting purposes not to mess around with it for now.

Use all default settings in DOSBox, re-install from the CD image, run LOADFIX, run PM2EXTRA. Make sure you keep the C and D drive mountings exactly the same when installing and running the game.

If it doesn't work like that, it could be a platform issue.

Attachments

• pm2.png
    Filename
    pm2.png
    File size
    119.04 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 84 of 91, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

ok, loadfix works for me... I'm ALWAYS forgetting loadfix...
my commands:

mount c pathtomygamesfolder
imgmount d pathtotheimage/pm2extra.cue -t iso (or cdrom, doesn't matter)
loadfix
c:
cd pm2extra
pm2 (or pm2extra, it's the same batch file)

In between the cutscenes it complains about the wrong DOS version but it goes on working. Probably fixable by the ver command.
Thanks Ripsaw for reminding me of loadfix... 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 85 of 91, by Sighmohn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Awesome, thanks for the fix Ripsaw.

I tried this on my mac with a fresh install of doxbox 0.74 and after the "ANCO" screen it went to a black screen with the cursor blinking in the top left and just stayed like that. I did pretty much exactly what you did dominus. Are you using a mac too? If so what version of dosbox?

Cheers again for the help.

Reply 86 of 91, by Sighmohn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I note that you renamed the cue/bin to pm2extra.cue and also installed it under the directory c:\pm2extra. Is this what Ripsaw means by "Make sure you keep the C and D drive mountings exactly the same when installing and running the game"? Because this is the only thing I'm unclear on and may be doing wrong.

Thanks.

Reply 87 of 91, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I actually didn'T rename the cue, just wanted to make it more verbose 😀
c:\pm2extra is the default directory where the installer installs it to when you don't do anything fancy. Just like your screenshot in the second post you made in this thread 😀
I'm on a mac 10.6, running dosbox 0.74

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 88 of 91, by Sighmohn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Then I don't know what I'm doing wrong! Haha, The number of attempts I've made to run this game is embarrassing! I'll try again tonight on my windows machine.

When exactly did you type loadfix? I did it at the c:\pm2extra\ prompt just before I attempted to launch the game?

The screen shows the "ANCO" logo in silver and then goes to a black screen with cursor blinking in the top left corner? I suppose it should go into the intro from here with the stadium view etc but it doesn't.

Sighmohn

Reply 89 of 91, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I've noticed that the game does occasionally hang after the ANCO screen, but not every time. Try fixed cycles to see if it helps with that. Experimenting with cycles may also help reduce the palette flashes that can occur in the intro movie.

@Dominus: I guess the message about the wrong DOS version is probably because it's finding a MODE.COM somewhere that is from a version of DOS other than 5.0 😉

Reply 91 of 91, by Gabriel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Problem solved for me! 😀

I followed the steps indicated by Dominus and now the game works perfect (the PM2 version and the PM2 Extra, both).

Dominus said:

ok, loadfix works for me... I'm ALWAYS forgetting loadfix... my commands: […]
Show full quote

ok, loadfix works for me... I'm ALWAYS forgetting loadfix...
my commands:

mount c pathtomygamesfolder
imgmount d pathtotheimage/pm2extra.cue -t iso (or cdrom, doesn't matter)
loadfix
c:
cd pm2extra
pm2 (or pm2extra, it's the same batch file)

In between the cutscenes it complains about the wrong DOS version but it goes on working. Probably fixable by the ver command.
Thanks Ripsaw for reminding me of loadfix...

I needed to mount the image (not the CD) and write the "loadfix" sequence.

Thanks to all! 😉