Rank
DOSBox Author

Poll: Do you have problems with the removal of all non-mixer samplerates

Poll ended at 2007-06-20, 11:10

• 2 votes (10%) 2 votes (10%)
  • 4 votes (19%) 4 votes (19%)
  • 7 votes (33%) 7 votes (33%)
  • 8 votes (38%) 8 votes (38%)

We might remove all sample rates and use the mixer samplerate for all sound related devices.

I made a poll to see what you think of this idea.
I personally tend to change all samplerates at the same time, so that up and downsampling doesn't happen.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 1 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Personally I've never touched them unless I was troubleshooting someone else's problem.

What's the benefit of removing them? Couldn't a config option be offered that would override all seperate values?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 10, by Tabris:DarkPeace

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been running the OPL at 11050, just feels smoother, maybe even slightly more stable in the games I play.

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=512 <--- Is there a formulae to balance block-size and prebuffer ?
prebuffer=15

[sblaster]
sbtype=sbpro2
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=cms <--- Have experimented with each to learn more.
oplrate=11050 <--- Have OPL sample rate set to half of mixer rate.

[gus]
gus=false <--- GUS = FALSE, but left the other lines in. (Nothing against GUS this is just my 'current' .conf). I like stereo sound and GUS just sounds mono, or doesn't exaggerate the difference enough. (But it sounds amazing for emulated GUS).
gusrate=22050
gusbase=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=11025 <--- I don't imagine CD quality audio here will help much. 😁
tandy=auto
tandyrate=11025
disney=true

Anything else I may have left out of use, just PM me.

http://users.on.net/~darkpeace

Reply 4 of 10, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i like the idea.
mostly i use also the default samplerates and change it only for testing.

but it whould be great to have the option maybe (for guys like tabris or older frontends) to manually add a samplerate (gusrate, pcrate...) again, which overwrites the mixer samplerate only for this specific setting.

sysprofile.png

Reply 6 of 10, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I configure all of them to 48khz. It originates in the fact that otherwise my old live! did some resampling on them. Now I have an x-fi but I did not feel like changing them, I don't think I would gain anything (neither speed nor quality-wise) if I set them to 44.1 or 96khz 😁

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 7 of 10, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Same : 48hkz throughout for me - tends to produce less aliasing overall. However I did notice that Munt sounded a lot more 'off key' @ 48hkz too but that's a hard thing to prove as Munt is often off key.

Reply 9 of 10, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Never changed them from the default, so I would vote to make them hidden and put in a kind of Override All Rate.

So that if needed it still is possible to change them one by one if need be (Hidden options), when "Override All Rate" is set to a "none" value.

I too would vote for a common value for all 'devices'.

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 10 of 10, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would agree with the idea and voted for it.

One thing that might be nice in that case is some kind of simple-minded low-pass filtering (or using less steep flanks) for the PC speaker. It tends to sound overly sharp at 48 kHz. At least to my ears.

EDIT: Seems like this was old info? Or maybe the better speakers I got since I last tried a PC-speaker game in dosbox? Anyway, it sounds about right and if I understand the pcspeaker.cpp code correctly, the flanks are not infinitely steep anyway. So forget this.

tearex