VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tlen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
there is a way to start DosBox in Window Mode with no Title Bar?
In other words just the plain windowed graphic window?
And if ATM is not possible, can you add as an option? 😀
Thank you

Reply 2 of 14, by tlen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Because i have a large monitor, and when i play games in window, the titlebar is quite... distracting. So without it, one would to be more fully immersed in the game.
I know this can sound little strange, but believe me, a pure graphic window (with at last the little border just to move it) it's another thing 😀
I don't think it's difficult to add, isn't it?

Reply 3 of 14, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Dunno if it's hard to remove it, but it's new to me that a title bar
can be distracting (fullscreen might be the solution...)
You can move the window as far to the top of the monitor that the
title bar is not visible.

Reply 4 of 14, by tlen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, i know can move to the top, but it's not the same.
Well, distracting happens when playing window. Imagine you were playing fullscreen and you had the titlebar always showing. It would not be very distracting? It's the same in window. Obv i say so because for various reasons i find more comfortable to play in window, so if you can, please put a little intention in it? 😀

Reply 7 of 14, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are two inconvinient problems if SDL_NOFRAME is set.
1) Moving the dosbox window is impossible.
2) You have to close status window or press Ctrl-F9 to quit dosbox because it does not provide a close button.

Attachments

• Filename
    noframe.png
    File size
    177.21 KiB
    Downloads
    214 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 14, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You don't have to wait. Test it yourself. No-One's gonna babysit you, probably.

And to be honest: i don't really understand your problem. If you want to "immerse" yourself, play in fullscreen. That's what it's for. A window _is_ a window, and _has_ to contain control and information elements. How would you move or resize your "border-and-control-less" window? Do you know any other application that creates a window the way you'd like it?

Reply 9 of 14, by tlen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@ADDiCT
First, dont' warm up yourself. Second be polite. Third if you're not interested you're not needed to reply, and fourth if i had enough knowledge of the dosbox environment i would had done the modification myself (i have programming knowledge).
Mine was a simple proposal. If the developers aren't willing, patience, not a problem.

BTW ykhwong
I see and understand what you mean, for the moving window, you could hook the move function to the (possibly) 3 pixels outer edge zone, in order onmousedown() { movewindow()}
For the closing application for me CTR-F9 it's not a problem (or it could be done with right mouse on taskbar and "close").
BTW if you think it's not worthing forget it, what i can say? 😀

Reply 10 of 14, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am not sure if the dosbox developers would like to implement the feature.
As they have followed a crossplatform-oriented programming, the movewindow won't be accepted. (MoveWindow seems like one of the API functions.)

Right-clicking the taskbar does not show "close" or the system menus here.
Try this : http://www.msu.edu/~yootaewo/realtest.rar (the rar will be removed in a few days)

Reply 11 of 14, by tlen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, really impressive!
But, i mean something like this

17139385hk9.png

That is the same window only without titlebar.

I know it's different from completely NoBorder.
You see the border pixels that could eventually been used to move the window.
I know this is highly tricky (or pheraps not? atm i don't have a compiler on the hand) and out of standard (even if this same exact window type is found in the GPL media player MediaPlayerClassic) and i understand the portability problem and the unwilling of adding it (pheraps it doesn't worth).

Anyway thank you really much for your great kindness 😀

Reply 12 of 14, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

you want to hide the fact that it runs inside dosbox ?

I don't see any need to remove the title bar. I kinda like seeing our logo there

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 13 of 14, by tlen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well... no that wasn't my intention (you can read my intention posts above), and i could fell almost "offended" for such maliciousness 😀 but i understand in the end the result is that, so if it bothers you, simply forget all this.
PS: BTW I've done my compliments for the program? Mmm in the hurry i forgot it. So (but that's obvious) Great Work!

Reply 14 of 14, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The window position can be modified by setting the environment variable.
- SDL_VIDEO_CENTERED=center
- SDL_VIDEO_WINDOW_POS=x,y
It can be completed by manually setting one of them in system properties or a batch file. Of course, using putenv in dosbox code also works.