Common searches

GUS stereo

Topic actions

First post, by mol1111

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I just want to ask if the GUS driver is supposed to support stereo. The SB plays in stereo, but I've just noticed that the GUS does not. It does not depend on the program (I've tested e.g. Protected Crazy Player, different games).

DOSBox 0.70, 0.71

Reply 2 of 5, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm yeh i believe it was kinda tricky thing as the gus can play only mono streams on 1 of it's channel. So you'd have to do 2 streams and set the panning of 2 channels 1 to left and 1 to right. Dunno how many developes cared enough for that. Only real use for Gus in games if they directly support the hadware mixing, if they just stream like soundblaster just use a soundblaster. Get less clicks that way and maybe stetereo 😀

Reply 3 of 5, by Combinatix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All right lads,

I found the same behavior of my DosBox 0.73 with GUS. Sound samples plays mono, no matter what the settings are. Midi sounds stereo.

But there is one very important thing. It may help to resolve the problem.

When I run the Descent 2 setup (or any other game which has the L/R test in the setup) the Left channel comes from the both speakers (mono) and it sounds clear. Same with Right channel. But Center Channel sounds a bit louder and it has flanger effect. This happen when you mix two same sounds with a little bit of delay into a mono bus. It seems to me like there are two channels (Left and Right) but they are both panned to center. I haven't found any information how to tweak this.

Does it make any sense what I said?

Anyway, you've done great job on this SW, It actually works better than my old PC (which crashes big time). And yes, I have working Gravis Ultrasound Max and Gravis Ultrasound PnP. And original CDs with original patches for both. 😊 I just love these soundcards... Soundblaster is not an option for me, sorry...

Reply 4 of 5, by Combinatix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found one more thing which may help.

In FT2 when I go to Instrument section and trying to pan the instrument it behaves like this:

Pan Value is between 00h and FFh Center is 80. When I pan the instrument within 10h - EFh it all seems to be working. But when I set pan to 0Fh or less it starts playing from center. Also the right pan - EFh stil works but F0 and above plays from the center again.

This means that all the games I had problem with always pan the channels fully Left and Right and they mix the sound internally in their engine.

I went through the GUS.CPP but my C++ is shite as I've grown on ZX Spectrum. Aaarg!

Reply 5 of 5, by Hawkins-

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also noticed that Tyrian sound effects with GUS are somehow noised. I'm guessing it isn't stereo either... The optimal solution would be to use SoundBlaster 16 for sound effects and GUS for music, but if you try to run Tyrian on that setup, after intro or loading saved game, DOSBox crashes with the following message in DOSBox status window:

Exit to error: JMP Illegal descriptor 0

Is there by any chance any known way to bypass any possible conflict in Tyrian, on using different soundcards for music and sound effects?

Live & explore...