VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Sicki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello guys 😁

I want to install DosBox to play my old Games like Lemmings or Z. But I haven't the heart to do install it.

Do DosBox change data files of my Windows XP ? i'm a little bit scared cause maybe other programs doesnt work after install it ? 😖

And I have another question too. I have the old Game Z on a CD and Iand have to install it bevor i can play it. The folder look like this

13450091tl4.jpg

Can i instal this Game after DosBox without any worries ? If yes: How do I install it ? My Windows XP fucked up in past after I installed a Dos game 😖

thx for your support! 😀

Reply 1 of 18, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

i'm a little bit scared cause maybe other programs doesnt work after install it ?

Highly unlikely, dosbox is a regular application and doesn't need/install drivers or similar stuff.

Reply 2 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

DOSBox is safe to install. It does not replace any of your files. It hardly touches anything in the registry. All it does is putting some files in your Programs folder and a link in your Start-menu to start it. Install DOSBox, insert your CD, and then follow my 60 seconds guide (see signature) to install your game.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 18, by Sicki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok I installed it and it work ! 😀

I tried to play Oh no - More Lemmings but I have to select some menu bevor. the problem is that I have no idea wtf i have to take 😮

dos2zy7.jpg

I dont knew what i have to take. So I pessed ESC ...

and jumped in the next menu.

dos3kz4.jpg

😖

Can someone help me ?

I have a

AMD Athlo 3200+
Radeon 9600
512 MB Ram
Realtek Soundkart
Windows XP Home

thx 😀

Reply 8 of 18, by Sicki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

it works 😀

I have got a questin to the "60 seconds guide to getting your game to run in DOSBox" from Minimax

60 seconds guide to getting your game to run in DOSBox

It is highly recommended that you always use C and D for the emulated drives.

Why ? can I use the right ones too ?

If your "DOSBox stuff\MyGame" folder is located on say your real F-drive, then do a mount C "F:\DOSBox stuff\MyGame".
If your real CD-ROM drive is E:, then do a mount D "E:\ -t cdrom -ioctl".

Sry but I dont understand that ^^ What is a F-drive ?

Reply 9 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Windows (and DOS) needs a letter (A, B, C, D, E, F, G, ...) for each drive/device/disk that is in the system. Ever since the King of Hearts was just a young Knight, drive A has been used for floppy/diskette no. 1, B for diskette no. 2, and C for the harddrive. Then when CD-drives became popular, D was usually used for the CD-drive.

Rich people added a second CD-drive (or perhaps a DVD-drive) and that became drive E. Even richer people got a second harddisk - drive F, etc, etc.

Reply 10 of 18, by Sicki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yeah but my secound harddisk is D and my my Cd-drives are E + F 😖

Z:\>mount C "C:\Documents and Settings\your-user-name\My Documents\DOSBox stuff\MyGame"
Z:\>mount D "D:\" -t cdrom -ioctl
Z:\>C:
C:\>

(assuming that D:\ is your real CD/DVD drive. )

Note 1: It is highly recommended that you always use C and D for the emulated drives. It doesn't matter what your real drives are.

That doesnt make sence !! i have to fill in

Z:\>mount E "E:\" -t cdrom -ioctl

But on the other side you tell me that I dont have to use this ladders .. What should I take now ? 😖

Last edited by Sicki on 2007-08-14, 17:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

And?

Reply 13 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

It is highly recommended that you always use C and D for the emulated drives.

mount C "C:\DOSBox stuff\MyGame"
^ ^
| |
| '--- Real, physical drive.
|
'--- Emulated, virtual drive.
mount D "E:\" -t cdrom -ioctl 
^ ^
| |
| '--- Real, physical drive.
|
'--- Emulated, virtual drive.

That doesnt make sence !! i have to fill in

Z:\>mount E "E:\" -t cdrom -ioctl

No, you don't *have* to do anything. It is your PC, your drives, your installation of DOSBox. I just recommended that you always use C and D for the emulated drives.

Reply 14 of 18, by Sicki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh ok ^^

# Z:\>mount C "C:\Documents and Settings\your-user-name\My Documents\DOSBox stuff\MyGame"
Z:\>mount D "D:\" -t cdrom -ioctl
Z:\>C:
C:\>

Not1 (...)

# Install the game from D: to C: <--- ? 😖 😖

Z:\>D:

Do I have to open my workstation -> E and opten the install.exe ? Why is there z now ?

Your manual is hard to understand for a noob like me 😒

------------------

Ok I foundet in D: a Install.exe (35 kb) and a setup.exe (29kb) .. Wtf shuold I take ?

13450091tl4.jpg

dos4nw5.jpg

Reply 16 of 18, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think if you try to run setup.exe it replies "This Program requires Microsoft Windows to run", so you should run install.exe

Klimawandel.

Reply 17 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Sicki wrote:

Your manual is hard to understand for a noob like me 😒

If you have suggestion on how to make it easier to understand, just let me know.