VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by gregoryk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to get DOSbox running on my G4 Powerbook, and am having zero success. Can someone give this newbie a hand. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 8, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hm, eh...

create a folder on your hard disk, call it "cdrive"
copy your DOS apps into.

in autoexec.bat section in config file ("DOSBox Preferences" in your Preferences folder), add

mount c "/volumes/Macintosh HD/path to cdrive/cdrive"
c:

Klimawandel.

Reply 2 of 8, by gregoryk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
IIGS_User wrote:
Hm, eh... […]
Show full quote

Hm, eh...

create a folder on your hard disk, call it "cdrive"
copy your DOS apps into.

in autoexec.bat section in config file ("DOSBox Preferences" in your Preferences folder), add

mount c "/volumes/Macintosh HD/path to cdrive/cdrive"
c:

Thanks, but it did not work.

Reply 6 of 8, by rhoenie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, lets start like this: your loginname on the mac is probably "gregoryk" (if it is not then replace all occurrences of this word with the one that is actually in use on your machine).

- create a folder named DOS in your documents folder
- download the DOSBox distribution to your mac
- unpack the ZIP and doubleclick the DMG file to mount it
(in its default configuration safari will do those steps for you)
- drag the DOSBox icon into your application folder
- copy the file "DOSBox Preferences" into:
/Users/gregoryk/Library/Preferences/
- edit that file and do some changes in it:
* jump to the bottom of the file into the "[autoexec]" section
* add: mount c: /Users/gregoryk/Documents/DOS
- save the file
- copy an MS-DOS application/game/demo into the DOS folder
that you have created before (be sure that it is unziped and
runable)
- fire up DOSBox by double-clicking the icon 😉

If everything was done right you should see a window with a DOS prompt in it and it should read "C:\". How to navigate and operate in DOS is beyond this little posting. I silently assume that you know what to do now.

Reply 7 of 8, by Who Knows?

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you are using version .72, it may have problems with PPC macs. I have tried running .72 on my g3 and it doesn't even open to the dos prompt like .71. It opens fine on my intel mac since it says its universal. The only problem is I can't test whether its crashing out because of the g3 or the PPC. When I show package contents and run the EXE file in contents/MacOS folder it gives me this error in the terminal:
dyld: incompatible cpu-subtype
Trace/BPT trap

Also, I have tried checking run in rosetta on my intel mac for the app that it says is universal to see if the lack of altivec was the reason for the trouble. The problem though was it would not save the selection to "run using rosetta" in the get info window.

Reply 8 of 8, by rhoenie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Uhm.. yeah.. G3.. I never thought anyone is that brave to really use it on a G3. 😀

I have modified the compiler settings on the official binary to optimize the powerpc part a little more. The result is a working binary that renders a certain game I use for testing without hickups and glitches in the sound output on G4 and up. The big downside is that suddenly the G3 target wont compile anymore (no, it has nothing to do with Altivec).

Since I am hosting a special G3 build for different DOSBox releases on my webpage and the download counters are .. well.. somewhat equal to zero, I assumed that the interest in a G3 is non-existant. You seem to be the proof that I was wrong!

I will do a special G3 build (only G3 - nothing else) with the old compiler settings and put it on my webpage. I will announce the link in here.

Update:
Sorry for the delay but I had an awful lot to do at work. Here is the promised G3-optimized binary of current DOSBox 0.72. The config file that comes with it is tailored down to meet the capabilities of a usual G3 Macintosh. Please report any troubles with it...

http://6464.at/~rhoenie/DOSBox-0.72_G3-only.dmg.zip