VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by spreaderb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Had anyone tried Dosbox in OS X 10.5 yet and can confirm that it is working?

I need to know that because I use Dosbox for serious work and would get into real trouble if I migrate to 10.5 in the next weeks to find out that DOSBOX doesn't work.

regards
Chris

Reply 1 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

maybe you will have to wait for the answer until Leo is out.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 6, by spreaderb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

come on, I know that Leopard is not out in the final version yet.

But there are enogh guys using the release candidate or other pre version who might also have tried Dosbox. I want to address these guys

Reply 3 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not too many people on these forums use OSX. You may want to ask the guy who maintains an OSX port of DosBox. You can find a link to his page in the "DosBox CVS Builds page" (Link in my signature).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I would expect someone who uses programs for serious work to already have tested their apps with pre versions themselves...
Also I expect Dosbox on OSX 10.5 to behave very similar to 10.4x. Much like the Windows version behaves on Vista (everything that goes wrong there can be fixed by the user).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 6, by rhoenie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No worries about the current official DOSBox binary not running under 10.5. At least the developer pre-releases of 10.5 are known to execute it successfully. There is just a little notice that one of the OSX APIs in use is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore.

Compiling DOSBox under 10.5 could be an issue though. At least with the current developer releases of Leopard quite a few of SDL based OSS projects report troubles.

So for now the solution is to use the official DOSBox binary under 10.5 until a special Leopard version is out. This will probably be at the end of the year - maybe earlier. 😊